VCU Health System's Peri-Operative Education is seeking a full time Nurse Educator as a staff development professional: Provides direction, education, leadership and accountability for program development, implementation and evaluation in area of responsibility. Includes professional development and empowerment of staff as well as management of resources to promote desired outcomes with attention to quality, efficiency and cost.
Has full authority and accountability for direction and leadership of program planning, guideline development, setting of practice standards within the confines of organizations/divisions/units mission, goals and objectives.
Manages human, fiscal and other resources to ensure quality programs/processes/services with measurable positive outcomes.
Nurse Educators generally work day shift, Monday - Friday, but may require flexibility for special projects or to meet organizational needs.
· Initiates the orientation of new employees to the department and monitors progress through completion of orientation
· Develops, plans, implements and evaluates educational sessions to meet the needs of the Sterile Processing Department and to aide in the professional development of staff.
· Professional development and empowerment of staff as well as management of resources to promote desired outcomes with attention to quality, efficiency and cost.
· Development and maintenance of competencies of Sterile Processing Department staff, in compliance with regulatory guidelines.
· Works in collaboration with Department Leaders and Quality Coordinators to oversee quality and infection control initiatives for Sterile Processing Department.
· Performs audits of employee education and competency completion.
Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing from an accredited School of Nursing
Masters Degree required in Nursing, Education or other program (MBA, etc.)
Will consider candidates without a Masters Degree who will become actively enrolled in a Masters Degree program (nursing or affiliated field). Candidates must achieve formal acceptance in a program within one year and complete the degree requirements within 5 years (of acceptance into the program) to remain in the position.**
Current RN licensure in Virginia or eligible or compact state
Two (2) years of current staff development or health care education experience
Five (5) years of relevant clinical nursing experience
Knowledge Skills and Abilities Required:
· Be knowledgeable of instrumentation, decontamination, sterilization processes, department equipment and the operation/workings of Sterile Processing and the Operating Room and be able to understand their issues and requests.
· Comfortable with Microsoft applications including Power Point, Word & Excel. Familiar with instrument tracking system
Certification in Professional Development or clinical specialty
AHA BLS Certification
AHA BLS Instructor Certification
Academic health care experience
Staff Development role experience
· Preferred: Certification in Professional Development or Clinical Specialty.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disability status.