VCU Health System's OR/ PACU Administration is seeking a full time Nurse Manager - with focus on education and quality. The focus of the position is to ensure that excellent patient care is provided by a nursing staff of sufficient number and competency to meet patient needs. Care is delivered in an environment that is healthy, healing and respectful to all patients, visitors and staff. To provide quality customer service to patients of all ages, their families, visitors, medical staff, clinicians and co-workers, ensuring that everyone will be treated courteously, quickly and with respect. To establish and maintain an environmental control plan, coordinate materials management for the department, assist in monitoring clinic activities.
All day-to-day operations of the unit are handled independently.
Advice and guidance are sought from the Director on an as needed situational basis and when there is a major impact on activity outside the unit. Actions that are taken without prior approval include daily operational functions and leadership of staff.
With Guidance of Supervisor; advice and guidance are sought for termination of employees, handling employee grievances, review of annual unit goals and budget, approval on unit guidelines and procedures and review of staff annual performance evaluations.
All employees of the nursing unit report to this position; however, supervisory responsibilities may be delegated as appropriate.
Required frequent visibility on all shifts and weekends to enhance staff communication and monitor staff effectiveness.
- Provides direction, education, leadership and accountability for program development, implementation and evaluation in area of responsibility. Includes professional development and empowerment of staff as well as management of resources to promote desired outcomes with attention to quality, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Master's Degree in Nursing, Health Administration, Business Administration, Public Health or closely related field from an accredited program or within one semester of completion. If the Master's Degree is not in Nursing, then it is required to have a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited program.
Current RN Licensure in Virginia
AHA BLS Certification or equivalent
5 years of relevant clinical experience with 2 of those years of progressive leadership and/or supervisory/management experience
Masters degree in Nursing from an accredited program
Certification in specialty area
Experience in academic medical center environment
- Supplemental course work in quality improvement, such as quality methodologies/tools, data analysis, patient safety, Lean, Six Sigma), quality engineering, and/or project management designing projects, coordinating and/or performing data collection, analyzing and reporting/interpreting data results (when appropriate, uses statistical process control), developing and implementing action plans and documenting the project and outcomes in written format. Assists in identifying performance improvement opportunities within the department, prioritizing the opportunities, collaborating with leaders and clinicians, planning and initiating intervention collaboratively and independently, and monitoring the impact.
- Previous experience working on a performance improvement project within a hospital
- Previous experience applying and explaining statistical process control tools; conducting group facilitation/presentation; and designing data collection tools.
- Previous experience using mapping/flowcharting software and working with databases (e.g. Access)
- Previous experience with performance improvement processes and tools.
- Previous experience collecting, organizing and analyzing data.