Inpatient Coding Specialist - Position Overview
The Inpatient Coding Specialist is primarily responsible for the coding and abstracting of all records including inpatient, ambulatory surgery and emergency room pertaining to patient's occasion of service. Standardized coding and classification systems, minimum data sets, data definitions and terminology will be utilized to ensure data is uniformly defined, collected, and verified. Provides assistance to authorized users to furnish aggregate data and information needed for education, statistical, managerial, reimbursement and performance improvement activities.
As a Coding Specialist, you will have the opportunity to:
· Code all records pertaining to patient's occasion of service to accurately reflect the diagnoses and services provided for use in performance improvement activities, hospital reimbursement and federal/state reporting
· Retrieve information from medical records and accurately enter the information into the hospital computer system
· Review and correlate financial and medical entries to identify discrepancies in charging/billing issues to be communicated to the appropriate hospital department for correction
· Assist in implementing facility changes in response to changes in reimbursement system requirements
· Actively participate in third-party reimbursement considerations providing documentation and/or communication with the attending physician as needed
· Serve as a communication link between departments, physicians, clinics and reimbursement agencies discussing issues and answering coding/billing questions
· High School Diploma or equivalent.
· Minimum 2 years coding experience in an acute care setting with at least one year inpatient coding is required
· 3 - 5 years inpatient coding experience in an acute care setting preferably in facilities with complex, multiple specialty departments, preferred
One of the following is required:
· Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
· Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) by American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
· Ability to solve problems and make sound judgments and decisions
· Ability to extract pertinent information from documents and to evaluate documentation in the medical record to determine principal and secondary diagnoses to be coded
· Ability to work and communicate in a positive and cooperative manner with all members of the health care team
Compensation & Benefits
· Competitive starting wage
· Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, and wellness
· Excellent retirement package with up to 6% employer contribution
· Generous Earned Time Off
· Tuition reimbursement after one year of service
About Asante and Southern Oregon
Asante is a local, community owned and governed, not-for-profit organization that provides comprehensive health care services to more than 550,000 people in a nine-county area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. It includes Asante Ashland Community Hospital in Ashland, Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center in Medford, Asante Three Rivers Medical Center in Grants Pass, Asante Physician Partners throughout the Rogue Valley, and additional health care partnerships. Virtually all medical specialties and services are represented within an organization dedicated to providing exceptional care. With over 5,000 employees, Asante's entities offer outstanding opportunities for career advancement and professional growth. At Asante your work positively impacts your family, friends, neighbors and the community. Experience the difference in how you work, how you live and how you connect.
At Asante we are defined by our values –traits that guide us as we serve patients and the community:
Excellence - Respect - Honesty - Service – Teamwork
Asante is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.