BLS - Thru American Heart Association (AHA) required upon st
Oregon CNA-2 Acute Care license required upon start
The Mental Health Assistant/CNA-2 Position Overview
Rogue Regional Medical Center's inpatient Behavioral Health Unit (BHU) is an 18 bed adult mental health unit, with an additional four psychiatric beds in the Emergency Department. The average patient census is 18 and nurse to patient ratios are 6:1. The average patient stay is nine days.
The Mental Health Assistant/CNA 2 for Behavioral Health Services assists in maintaining, restoring, and promoting patient's health through the application of psychiatric-mental health nursing principles as directed by a registered nurse (RN). The Mental Health Assistant facilitates psycho-educational and recreational groups, but does not lead group therapy.
As a Mental Health Assistant at Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center, you will have the opportunity to:
· Promote and maintain a safe and therapeutic milieu (therapeutic community) by monitoring the unit environment and communicating effectively with team members
· Utilize the nursing process to identify and resolve problems with the scope of practice. This may include:
o Collecting data, making observations, and reporting conditions/changes to the RN based on symptoms, psychosocial and age specific needs
o Providing input into the multidisciplinary treatment plans for patients and implementing care based on these plans
o Documenting patients' response to nursing care and significant events consistent with established charting standards
o Facilitating psycho-educational and recreational groups
· Anticipate and respond effectively to critical/emergent situations and intervene in critical and/or life threatening situations effectively and coordinate resources for an effective response
· Document patient's response to nursing care and significant events consistent with established charting standards
· Completion of an OSBN approved CNA-2 training program required
· Documentation of continuing education in the Health Sciences
· No experience required, however 1 year mental health experience or equivalent preferred
· Experience in an acute care mental health setting also preferred.
· CNA-2 certified by the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBN) required upon start
· Basic Life Support (BLS) certified by the American Heart Association (AHA) required upon start
· Nationally Certified Psychiatric Technician (NCPT) by the American Association of Psychiatric Technicians (AAPT), preferred
· Adaptability, flexibility, and a positive attitude
· Ability to problem-solve, interpret, and deal with variables in an efficient and logical manner
· Ability to communicate effectively and work interdependently with others
· Ability to recognize and respond to the human dignity in those we serve
Working Environment / Physical Requirements:
This position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis – for example to transfer a patient in and out of a bed. The ability to bend, stretch, twist and perform other awkward physical movements is also required. To be placed in this position, applicants must pass a physical functional screening. This position works in a high stress level environment - emotional stability and maximum output of emotional energy is essential.
Compensation & Benefits
· Competitive starting wage
· Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, and wellness
· Excellent retirement package with up to 6% employer contribution
· Generous Earned Time Off
· Tuition reimbursement after one year of service
About Asante and Southern Oregon
Asante is a local, community owned and governed, not-for-profit organization that provides comprehensive health care services to more than 550,000 people in a nine-county area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. It includes Asante Ashland Community Hospital in Ashland, Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center in Medford, Asante Three Rivers Medical Center in Grants Pass, Asante Physician Partners throughout the Rogue Valley, and additional health care partnerships. Virtually all medical specialties and services are represented within an organization dedicated to providing exceptional care. With over 5,000 employees, Asante's entities offer outstanding opportunities for career advancement and professional growth. At Asante your work positively impacts your family, friends, neighbors and the community. Experience the difference in how you work, how you live and how you connect.
At Asante we are defined by our values –traits that guide us as we serve patients and the community:
Excellence - Respect - Honesty - Service – Teamwork
Asante is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.