• Participates in all aspects of hospital pharmacy services: Operations and Distribution, Clinical Pharmacy, and Outpatient Infusion Services
• Ensures that the pharmacy provides optimal clinical services on a daily basis, promoting desirable patient outcomes through safe and cost effective drug therapies.
• Establishes and maintains productive collaborative relationships with practitioners and hospital staff
Operations and Distribution:
• Compounds and dispenses prescribed medications, drugs and other pharmaceutical for patient care
• Responsible for distribution of drugs to inpatients, outpatients, and clinics
• Supervises and directs pharmacy support personnel. Verifies the daily activities of the pharmacy technicians
• As part of the interdisciplinary care team, provides quality and cost effective services to patients, employees and medical staff
• Monitors drug therapy of patients for appropriateness of drug and dose, drug interactions, contraindications, and adverse reactions
• Provides pharmacokinetic consults and renal drug dosing adjustments per hospital protocols
• Performs IV-to-PO automatic dosing changes and therapeutic substitutions
• Provides clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners
• Participates in clinical “rounds” with nursing and medical staffs and clinical collaboration meeting
• Participates in drug use evaluations and evaluation of new drugs for formulary addition
• Provides home infusion services
• Monitors patients, reviews therapies, and adjusts or recommends adjustment of medication dosing
• Coordinates preparation and delivery of infusion products, enteral products, pumps, and supplementary equipment and supplies
• Provides pharmacist-consulting services to the Outpatient Infusion Center, Home Health, and Hospice
• Evaluates infusion patient needs and provides drug information to patients
• Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to identify and meet provide pharmaceutical care to the population served, including neonatal, pediatric, adult, geriatric, acute care, obstetric, chemically dependant, and rehabilitation patients.
The Clinical Pharmacist is under the supervision of and reports to the Director of Pharmacy.
• Current California Registered Pharmacist license or ability to obtain prior to start date
• Current CPR/BLS certification by the American Heart Association (BLS for the Healthcare Provider) or ability to obtain prior to start date
• Bachelors Degree from an accredited school of pharmacy plus Hospital Pharmacy Residency or equivalent clinical pharmacy experience
• PharmD, with clinical focus, or Masters Degree in Pharmacy, with emphasis on hospital practice with optional Hospital Pharmacy Residency (preferred) or equivalent clinical pharmacy experience
• Minimum three recent years exp as a Staff Pharmacist in a hospital or healthcare setting
• Sufficient computer skills as are required to complete an online application and the pre-employment/annual Net Learning requirements
• In compliance with patient safety standards, must be able to effectively communicate in English; Bilingual abilities preferred
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the position without compromising services.
• Prolonged, extensive or considerable standing/walking/sitting
• Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
• Contact with patients and guests under a wide variety of circumstances
• Potential for exposure to the risk of infections and bloodborne and contagious diseases
• Exposed to hazardous anesthetic agents, body fluids and waste
• Subject to hazards of flammable and explosive gases
• Exposure to chemicals known by the California Health Department to cause reproductive harm and cancer
• May come in contact with pharmaceuticals which can pose a physical threat
• Subject to varying and unpredictable situations, including the handling of emergency or crisis situations
• Subject to pressure due to irregular hours, frequent interruptions and stressful situations due to multiple demands