Indiana University Health’s mission is to improve the health of our patients and community through innovation and excellence in care, education, research and service.
Core Values are;
· Excellent patient & family care - mind, body and spirit
· Charity, justice and consistency in health care
· Leadership in health promotion and wellness
· An internal community of excellence, courtesy, mutual trust and respect
· Ethical, expedient, legal and confidential handling of medical, personal and financial transactions
Under the direction of the medical providers, ensures that quality care is provided in an efficient and safe manner. Provides professional nursing services through education and patient care in the Family Practice setting. Follows established nursing process including patient assessment, nursing diagnosis and evaluations. Assists providers and staff in coordinating patient care. Functions as a primary liaison between patients, families, staff and providers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· The right person for this organization will be solution oriented and work well in a team environment
· Maintains confidentiality and adheres to government regulatory guidelines including HIPAA, OSHA, CLIA, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.
· Provides general nursing care to patients, including emergency care as necessary.
· Administers and documents medication, vaccines and treatments in accordance with nursing standards, policies and procedures.
· Performs phlebotomy, process lab specimens and report/document lab results in accordance with lab policies.
· Performs diagnostic procedures under the direction of the providers.
· Accurately, concisely and completely records and maintains medical records and documents.
· Performs telephone triage utilizing approved criteria.
· Maintains exam rooms and nursing areas to include preparing, stocking and cleaning rooms as well as maintaining supplies and equipment for treatment.
· Maintains current skills and job knowledge through reading, training and other educational opportunities as available.
· Demonstrates acceptable time management techniques.
· Assists in the orientation of new personnel when requested.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Demonstrates clinical competency.
· Demonstrates ability in handling confidential information as it relates to patients, physicians, co-workers and any other information as deemed necessary.
· Knowledge of medical terminology and approved medical abbreviations.
· Oral communication skills needed to develop patient rapport, discuss issues with providers, co-workers patients, patients’ families and other external customers.
· Written communication skills necessary for medical record documentation and other documentation needs as required.
· Ability to work in a team environment and adapt to various work assignments.
· Previous computer experience helpful.
Education and Experience:
· Graduation from an accredited medical assistant program.
· BLS certification/re-certification as required.
· Minimum of one year clinical office experience preferred.
· Ability to perform moderate physical activity for extended periods of time.
This job description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, skills and working conditions may change as needs change.