Indiana University Health’s mission is to improve the health of our patients and community through innovation and excellence in care, education, research and service.
Core Values are;
· Excellent patient & family care - mind, body and spirit
· Charity, justice and consistency in health care
· Leadership in health promotion and wellness
· An internal community of excellence, courtesy, mutual trust and respect
· Ethical, expedient, legal and confidential handling of medical, personal and financial transactions
Under the direction of the medical providers, ensures that quality care is provided in an efficient and safe manner. Provides professional nursing services through education and patient care. Follows established nursing process including patient assessment, nursing diagnosis and evaluations. Assists providers and staff in coordinating patient care. Functions as a primary liaison between patients, families, staff and providers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· The right person for this organization will be solution oriented and work well in a team environment
· Maintains confidentiality and adheres to government regulatory guidelines including HIPAA, OSHA, CLIA, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.
· Provides general nursing care to patients, including emergency care as necessary.
· Administers and documents medication, vaccines and treatments in accordance with nursing standards, policies and procedures.
· Performs phlebotomy, processes lab specimens and reports/documents lab results in accordance with lab policy.
· Performs diagnostic procedures under the direction of the providers.
· Records and maintains medical records and documents in a precise manner according to policy.
· Performs telephone triage utilizing approved criteria.
· Maintains exam rooms and nursing areas, including preparing, stocking and cleaning as well as maintaining supplies and equipment for treatment.
· Assists in the orientation of new personnel when requested
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Maintains current skills and job knowledge through reading, training and other educational opportunities as available.
· Demonstrates time management techniques.
· Demonstrates clinical competency.
· Demonstrates ability to handle confidential information as it relates to the patients, physicians, co-workers and any other information as deemed necessary.
· Knowledge of medical terminology and approved medical abbreviations.
· Oral communication skills needed to develop patient rapport, discuss issues with providers, co-workers, patients, patients’ families and other external customers.
· Written communication skills necessary for medical record documentation and other documentation needs as required.
· Ability to work in a team environment and adapt to various work assignments.
· Previous computer experience helpful.
Education and Experience:
· Graduation from an accredited nursing school, with current Indiana Nursing License.
· BLS certification/re-certification as required.
· Minimum of one year clinical office experience preferred.
· Ability to perform moderate physical activity for extended periods of time.
This job description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, skills and working conditions may change as needs change.