GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for planning, organizing and directing all of the financial aspects of the Clinic’s medical practice, including the development and administration of policies on finance, accounting, insurance, patient financial services, internal controls, budget, auditing, reimbursement, managed care, payroll, benefits and claims processing.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Bryan Heart Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Exercises general supervision over the Finance/Accounting Department, Billing Department, MIS (Medical Records) and Transcription.
1. Participates in strategic planning in concert with the organization’s mission and values that contribute toward maintaining our growth market share, reimbursement, maximization and cost containment including productivity improvement.
2. Prepares the annual budget and the quarterly compensation calculation. Analyzes, prepares and presents monthly and annual financial statements to management.
3. Reviews financial results of the various Clinic departments with their supervisors, monitors their budgetary performance and internal controls and provides assistance with financial management issues to all management and supervisory staff.
4. Plans, organizes, coordinates, and manages financial policies and controls in order to control receipt of revenues, expenditures of funds, and conservation of assets.
5. Directs and coordinates reimbursement, patient accounting and general accounting, including general ledger accounting, accounts payable/receivable, claims processing and cash management.
6. Develops and maintains effective systems of general accounting and cost accounting. Negotiates, reviews, researches, approves and provides ongoing oversight of all insurance reimbursement contracts; ensures contractors adhere to contract parameters and tracks Bryan Heart’s contract adherence; monitors the public and fiscal environments to predict/evaluate potential impact on current and future contract activity.
7. Communicates and interacts with health care plan and insurance brokers, medical physicians, Heartland Health Alliance representatives and business community individuals to obtain market information, negotiate claim disputes and clarify standards/processing requirements.
8. Develops financial and accounting objectives, establishing staffing patterns; and planning and organizing the work of subordinates to accomplish the goals of the organization as effectively and efficiently as possible.
9. Supervises the analysis of costs and makes rate recommendations to ensure appropriate income/cash flow.
10. Receives billing/collection patterns and makes corrective recommendations.
11. Interprets and enforces third-party payer rules and regulations, including Medicare requirements. Ensures that related necessary cost reporting and billing is performed.
12. Keeps informed of all changes in regulations and standards to ensure compliance in the area of financial reporting.
13. Maintains existing Clinic banking relationships.
14. Interacts with Information Technology Department on computer operations related to financial activities.
15. Works with Human Resources Manager, and Billing Department Team Leader, as appropriate, to select, train, orient and supervise departmental personnel.
16. Assists merit increases, promotions, and disciplinary actions, with input, as appropriate, from Billing Department Team Leader
17. Directs, forecasts and analyzes special projects, such as proposed facility acquisition/rental, equipment leases/purchases, etc.
18. Works with Human Resources Manager, and Billing Department Team Leader, as appropriate, to select, train, orient and supervise departmental personnel.
19. Assists departmental performance and ensures compliance with fiscal governmental reporting requirements, including tax reports.
20. Assists and evaluates performance of subordinate supervisors to ensure quality of service and technical expertise of staff.
21. Assists merit increases, promotions, and disciplinary actions, with input, as appropriate, from Billing Department Team Leader.
22. Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional certifications and affiliations.
23. Maintains strictest of confidentiality.
24. Keeps CAO informed on the status of operations.
25. Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required.
Certification/License/Registration: Masters degree or CPA Preferred
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of accounting experience, including three years in a healthcare organization. Minimum of five (5) years of management experience required. Experience in complex or larger organizations preferred. Additional experience in a large physician group preferred.