- Reviews Physician’s current schedule for the day and assesses availability of same day appointments for triaged patients calling in for same day appointments. Monitors physician’s schedule throughout the day for scheduling updates.
- Prepares rooms for patient office visits, cleans as necessary prior to and/or after patient’s appointment, stock room if necessary.
- If practice is not on EMR system, insure all test results are on paper charts for patient’s appointment.
- Prepares room for special procedures, including supplies, i.e. Pap, vasectomy, colposcopy, acupuncture, cupping and/or other special exams according to practice guidelines.
- Escorts patient to exam room obtaining pre-appointment information as pertaining to office visit according to practice guidelines.
- Strives to minimize patient’s waiting time by rotating patients into exam rooms and through office visit procedures utilizing multi-tasking skills to expedite patient’s care and facilitate physician’s productivity.
- Gathers exam information including vital signs, height, weight, pediatric measurements, and Rx requests according to practice guidelines flagging room for physician according to medical office or physician’s preference. Assists physician with exams and procedures as required.
- Monitors phone refill line and referral line according to medical practice guidelines.
- After exam, explain any necessary information or guidelines that physician provides, reviews patient education as required, i.e.: metered dose inhalers, discusses concerns of patients and seeks physician’s advice for clarification of orders when needed.
- Provides peak flow metered testing; providers nebulizer treatments, EKG or other testing as ordered by physician. Administers adult and pediatric vaccines or immunizations as instructed by physician, completing immunization forms, obtaining consents, entering vaccines in EMR, medical record and CHIRP as required and insuring that superbill reflects services provided.
- Monitors drug sample room, maintains drug representative policy on leaving sample medications, logging in drug samples by name, quantity and lot numbers, rotating drug samples with attention to expiration dates of those medications and manages drug representatives on detailing of physicians by drug representatives.
- Obtains lab tests, blood draws, urinalysis, performing all other in office testing according to practice guidelines. Obtains Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN) prior to service being provided if required and completes superbill charges for in office testing.
- Completes lab requisitions, processes specimens as required, if in office lab results provide physician with results according to practice guidelines.
- Maintains quality control standards in Lab area including separation of specimens and vaccines, maintaining clean and soiled areas according to practice guidelines.
- Insures that all routine back office controls and requirements are fulfilled, inclusive of monitoring and recording of refrigerator and freezer temperatures.
- Maintains supply inventory, promotes and practices cost containment when ordering back office medical supplies inclusive of vaccines and lab supplies, insuring hat expiration dates are monitored and medical supplies are rotated according to expiration dates.
- Schedules referrals/evaluations/prior authorizations, or directs patients to appropriate personnel for referrals when necessary, gathering needed patient information and personal demographics if needed, and/or insurance information according to practice guidelines.
- Applies appropriate dressing to wounds or post procedures as directed by physician.
- Follows practice guidelines on check out procedure of patient, insuring all services and procedures are noted on superbill.
- Cleans, cold sterilization or autoclave procedures according to practice guidelines.
- Maintains work stations observing guidelines on area according to practice guidelines.
- Proper disposal of biohazardous waste and sharps containers according to federal, state and practice guidelines.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure. See practice management structure.
- Maintains confidentiality. Performs duties with honesty, fairness, ethics and good corporate citizenship to ensure corporate compliance.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in physician office preferred
EDUCATION: High school graduate or equivalent; Graduate of an accredited medical assistant program and eligible for MA certification preferred
LICENSURE: MA certification preferred
- Use critical thinking and personal judgment to perform a variety of clinical and clerical office tasks that require special skills and knowledge that a medical assistant has acquired through academics and experience.
- Make decisions based on knowledge, physician’s orders and practice guidelines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, written and verbal, problem solving skills and the ability to work in a collaborative setting.
- Follow instructions and practice guidelines without direct supervision.
- Speak and write clearly and accurately.
- Deal with all kinds of people.
- Change work frequently.