Clinical Laboratory Technician
Full Time * Day Shift * 9:00AM-5:00PM
Must be able to work Variable Days with Holiday coverage
Rockville Centre, NY
Explore a career with Mercy Medical Center, a 375-bed not-for-profit hospital and member of the Catholic Health Services of Long Island that has been serving the healthcare needs for the residents of Nassau County and its surrounding areas since 1913. Ranked among the top hospitals in New York State, Mercy offers a NYS designated Stroke Center, Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and has received Pathway to Excellence designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center – the only hospital in the region and one of only two in NY State to receive this prestigious award.
The Lab Technician will work under the general supervision of the Supervisor by performing all procedures related to his/her section, including patient testing (neonates to geriatrics patients), maintenance of equipment and accurate records adhering to the Quality Control Program in his/her section. Attends educational programs to maintain their level of proficiency in laboratory medicine.
· Operates, calibrates, maintains and troubleshoots instruments required for performance of procedures. Rejects specimens which do not meet criteria. Assures telephone reports are given and documented as per protocol. Records all results accurately and legibly.
· Accurately identifies patients and specimens. Separates and stores specimens in the appropriate locations. Missing specimens are investigated and verified.
· Performs and documents all quality control and equipment maintenance to include scheduled maintenance, cleaning, calibrations, temperatures, etc.
· Performs procedures accurately and according to policy completing testing within established time for routine and STAT testing.
· Promptly takes corrective action for any out-of-control situations and documents as per section protocol. Reports same to supervisor and/or lead technologist.
· Uses the LIS to enter work, review worksheets, results, etc. All are completed by the end of shift. Notifies the Supervisor and/or Lead Technologist of all computer problems.
· Reviews and verifies all work performed, taking appropriate action for all abnormal and critical results.
· Aids in maintaining a complete inventory of reagents and supplies including dating upon receipt, dating upon opening, and proper storage. Expired reagents are discarded. Short supply is brought to the attention of the Supervisor and/or Lead Technologist.
· Handles inquiries from the Medical Staff pertaining to the Laboratory according to policy, reporting same to Supervisor and/or Lead Technologist.
Education: A.A.S. Degree in Medical Technology or 2 years of college containing 30 semester hours in one of the biological sciences (Chemistry, Biology, etc.) & meets standard requirement of New York State Department of Health
Experience/skills: 1-2 years of Clinical Laboratory experience
Licensure: NYS Clinical Laboratory Technician License required, ASCP preferred
At Catholic Health Services of Long Island your well-being comes first, with comprehensive compensation and benefits; our offerings go beyond the basics. In addition to multiple medical plans, life insurance, generous paid time off and flexible spending accounts, we also offer substantial tuition reimbursement, an employer funded pension plan and several savings plan options for your future.
MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
A Member of the Catholic Health Services of Long Island
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V