Lab Technologist-Blood Bank I-PD
Must be able to work Rotating Weekends, & Holidays
Rockville Centre, NY
Explore a career with Mercy Medical Center, a 375-bed not-for-profit
hospital and member of the Catholic Health Services of Long Island that has been serving the healthcare needs for the residents of Nassau County and its surrounding areas since 1913. Ranked among the top hospitals in New York State, Mercy offers a NYS designated Stroke Center, Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and has received Pathway to Excellence designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center – the only hospital in the region and one of only two in NY State to receive this prestigious award.
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor, the Lab Technologist performs all procedures related to his/her section, including patient testing (neonates to geriatric patients), maintenance of equipment and accurate records. Assumes responsibility for first-line supervision in the absence of the Supervisor or Lead Technologist. Evaluates all reports performed, exercising independent judgment. Attends educational programs to maintain his/her level of proficiency.
• Operate, calibrate, maintain and troubleshoot instruments required for performance of procedures. Rejects specimens which do not meet criteria. Assures telephone reports are given and documented as per protocol. Records all results accurately and legibly.
• Accurately identifies patients and specimens. Separates and stores specimens in the appropriate locations. Missing specimens are investigated and verified.
• Performs and documents all quality control and equipment maintenance to include scheduled maintenance, cleaning, calibrations, temperatures, etc.
• Perform procedures accurately and according to policy completing testing within established time for routine and STAT testing.
• Reviews and verifies all work performed, taking appropriate action for all abnormal and critical results.
• Handles inquiries from the Medical Staff pertaining to the Laboratory according to policy, reporting same to Supervisor and/or Lead Technologist.
• B.S. Degree in Medical Technology or related field. Meets standard requirement of New York State Department of Health.
• NYS Lab Technologist required ASCP preferred.
• 1-2 years of Clinical Laboratory Experience. Knowledge of automated and manual laboratory equipment, computers and peripherals. Must be able to recognize and handle hazardous conditions inherent to the Laboratory environment.
At Catholic Health Services of Long Island your well-being comes first, with comprehensive compensation and benefits; our offerings go beyond the basics. In addition to multiple medical plans, life insurance, generous paid time off and flexible spending accounts, we also offer substantial tuition reimbursement, an employer funded pension plan and several savings plan options for your future.
MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
A Member of the Catholic Health Services of Long Island
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V