- 1 - 2 years experience required
Patients and other customers judge the quality of health care on patient health outcomes and on their perceptions of what was done and how it was done. It is the responsibility of the Certified Surgical Tech to meet and exceed the expectation of the customer through, but not limited to, the preparation of instrumentation, equipment and supplies under the supervision of the Registered Nurse. Requires knowledge of the behaviors, developmental stages, physical and emotional needs, life cycle changes, culture, and comfort and care appropriate to the population served. Populations served by BOSC department are identified in the department's scope of service.
- Annually completes and submits documentation for fifteen (15) hours of continuing education concerning surgical technology required for continued employment in CST role.
- Requires effective communication skills, oral and written. Must have the ability to frequently work in a standing position and do frequent walking. Must have the ability to lift and transfer patients up to 6 inches from a stooped position then pushing or pulling the weight up to 3 feet, minimally 50 pounds singly and estimated 100-350 pounds from multiple sources. Must have the ability to push/pull carts with patients whose weight may exceed 350 pounds. Must have the ability to physically apply up to 10 pounds of pressure to bleeding sites, or in performing CPR. Must have the ability to hold retractors for extended length of time. Must have the ability to evaluate problem situations with judgment and discretion and report to RN. Must have the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously and appropriately prioritize based on caseload and patient needs. Must have the ability and capacity to document in clear and concise fashion with appropriate grammar and word usage. Must have the ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, physicians, co-workers, supervisors and other hospital personnel on a one-to-one basis using appropriate grammar, vocabulary and word usage. Must have the ability to respond and react immediately with unimpeded auditory perception of verbal/vocal instructions and auditory auscultation. Must have the ability to respond and react to visual observation. Must have the ability to quickly and accurately manipulate a keyboard. Must have the ability to learn and proficiently perform computer applications related to department operations.
- Current certification as a Surgical Technologist by the Association of Surgical Technologists, Inc. required. Current American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider CPR preferred or American Red Cross Professional Rescuer Certification at point of hire or must obtain AHA Health Care Provider CPR within 1st week of orientation prior to patient care required. Completion of departmental orientation required.
- Requires licensure is considered minimal competence unless an event of error occurs.