· Licensed or eligible for licensure to practice law in the State of Maine.
· A minimum of ten years of progressive in-house corporate or healthcare legal practice experience in either a complex corporate or hospital system setting in a competitive market.
· Demonstrated expertise in a broad range of legal issues including contracts, fraud and abuse, privacy/confidentiality, employment, litigation and compliance issues, as well as other general corporate matters.
· Has established a high level of credibility among peers as a leader in the healthcare legal practice field and experience in working with boards.
· Active involvement in own professional development through professional organizations
· A relationship builder who establishes trust quickly and easily across multiple constituencies - peers, senior leadership, direct reports, and medical staff.
· Strong communication and consultation skills: this individual must demonstrate superior communication skills, including listening, oral, and written, in a manner that is forthright, fact-based, and non-emotional.
· Possesses the highest integrity and ethics, and is fair and balanced in all dealings. Can be courageous in taking on and challenging differing opinions.
· An executive presence and bearing that assures those interacting with this individual of competence and confidence in all dealings.
· A proactive versus reactive approach to facing challenges and taking on sensitive or controversial issues.
· Transparent in all interactions and dealings to allay concerns of impartiality. Seen as an opinion leader versus content expert on key healthcare legal issues with the strength of their convictions, but with the ability to be measured in their approach and expectations.
· Good analytical, management, and people skills.
· Ability to work and excel in a highly complex, matrixed environment.
· A clear understanding of the value risk proposition, and the ability and willingness to convey it to others.
· A high degree and demonstration of service orientation which will also be needed in other legal department staff.