The Director of Finance role is one of five Directors working in a fast paced, growing HealthCare Finance environment that is responsible for processing half a billion dollars' worth of business annually. The Director of Finance is expected to drive financial leadership, strategy, and controls and reporting systems for multiple programs and departments which currently include Grant Programs, the Maine College of Health Professions, Joint Ventures, Cash Management, and Covenants. This role is responsible to partner with the Program Leaders in order to ensure a viable and sustainable business model supported with sound financial strategy and robust metrics and timely reporting.
1. Drive the financial planning of the programs and departments they support by analyzing their performance and risks.
2. Retain constant awareness of system financial health and act to prevent problems.
3. Provide support and oversight of our Grant Program, Maine College of Health Professions accounting as well as Bank Covenants, Joint Ventures, and Cash Management.
4. Oversee all audit and internal control operations for the programs and departments they support.
5. Prepare timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a quarterly and annual basis.
6. Use data analysis to strategically forecast financial trends and report them to the VP of Finance
7. Maximizes return and limits risk on cash by minimizing cash balances and making investments.
8. Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
9. Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
10. Arranges for audits as required and appropriate.
11. Responsible for attaining all agreed upon position specific goals and objectives within the specified time frame as part of the organization's overall objective program.
12. Consistently manages all departmental operating activities so that quality services are provided in an efficient and effective manner meeting all applicable regulatory licensure and accrediting regulations.
13. Develops and maintains departmental productivity measurements and adjusts resources to meet hospital and departmental standards, as requested by the VP of Finance.
14. Follows established safety management policies to ensure safety standards are achieved according to the requirements of regulatory agencies.
15. Remains current on market trends and patterns and act accordingly.
16. Assess program and departmental spending and work to reduce costs.
Education and Experience:
• A B.S. (or equivalent) degree in accounting or finance; Masters Preferred.
• CPA is preferred.
• 5 years of financial management experience in a hospital (or other type of healthcare entity as appropriate) with the ability to provide assistance, analysis, recommendations for improvement, budgeting assistance, and other educational assistance to senior leaders and department directors.
• Knowledge of financial forecasting, accounting principles, and financial analysis.