The position of Medical Assistant (MA), functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in providing direct patient care. The MA performs routine administrative and patient care support duties that assist the medical team in the examination and treatment of patients and ensure the clinic/office runs efficiently. The MA provides clerical support under the supervision of the practice manager, and assists clinically in the delivery of patient care in the medical practice under the supervision of the provider. The MA works with the Practice Leadership in accordance with CMH department policies and procedures and operates within the American Association of Medical Assistants guidelines. The MA communicates with the appropriate person (Provider, Clinical Coordinator, Team Leader, and/or Practice Manager) about changes in patient's status and results of diagnostic studies.
1. Takes medical histories and records vital signs, explains treatment procedures to patients, and prepares patients for examinations and procedures.
2. Serves in a Patient care support role which may include assisting the medical and nursing staff during examination and procedures.
3. Performs other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the provider within the scope of CMH guidelines.
4. May be requested to be a liaison for clinic activities such as Joint Commission and/or participate in system committees.
1. Serves as the champion of the patient experience
2. Engages patients utilizing exceptional customer service practices in alignment with the Five Must Haves;
i. Greet people with a smile, friendly eye contact and say hello
ii. Take people where they are going, rather than point or give directions
iii. Use key words at key times. "Is there anything else I can do for you?"
iv. Foster an attitude of gratitude.
v. Round with reason and purpose.
3. Prepares for clinic visits by reviewing next day patients and completing next day preparation activities.
4. Checks-in patient upon arrival in the practice. Identify correct patient information in Cerner Revenue Cycle. Verify patient demographic data. Present and educate patients on required forms and obtain signature as required by policy and procedure. Collect and post co-payments and balances on accounts due. Copy, file and distribute insurance cards as indicated by procedure. Maintain private physician office charts.
5. Utilizes centralized scheduling system and software applications to schedule appointments. Verifies and updates patients' demographic information and transfers to registration for update per organization policy, procedures and standards.
6. Schedules tests and procedures. Complete and distribute ancillary service requisitions.
7. Determines the amount of payment due at time of service to be collected based on insurance plan.
8. Checks-out patients. Make return appointments by scheduling patients into the correct appointment type, entering the primary care provider or referring provider and scheduling tests and procedures.
9. Communicates with patients and staff by using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone call handling telecommunication system, emails, faxes and on-line chats and on-line scheduling applications.
10. Answers telephone, take and deliver messages to physicians, nurses and others. Report obtained medical information from patients and referring provider accurately, completely and timely. Disseminate messages according to practice communication standards.
11. Upholds CMH policies and procedures including HIPAA.
12. Participates in orientation, training programs and attends meetings as required.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned or described by the organization's policy.
Education and experience:
1. Graduate from a Medical Assistant program required
2. Must have one (1) the following credentials or be eligible to obtain 1 (one) of the following credentials, based upon the credentialing organization's eligibility requirements, within 90 days of hire:
i. Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) – American Association of Medical Assistants
ii. Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) – American Medical Technologists
iii. Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) – National Healthcareer Association
iv. National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) – National Center for Competency Testing
v. Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) – The American Registry of Medical Assistants
vi. National Registered Certified Medical Assistant (NRCMA) – National Association for Health Professionals
3. Current Association Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS required.
4. High school or GED graduation required.
5. One year of work experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting preferred.
6. One year of work experience in directly communicating providing exceptional service to patients or to the public, preferably in a healthcare field preferred.
7. Demonstrated proficiency with data entry/keyboarding preferred.
8. Experience with PC and Electronic Medical Records preferred.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
1. Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheelchair patients may be required.
2. Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed.
3. Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
4. Age specific competencies.
5. Daily clinic preparation process; registration, scheduling, charge posting, order entry. Able to document and communicate pertinent information
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and clinic staff
7. Typing skills
8. Medical terminology
9. Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills
10. Ability to perform multiple tasks or activities simultaneously, provide quality patient service, prioritize and use critical thinking
11. Effectively communicate with patients in a supportive and tactful manner
12. Identify and apply effective service recovery opportunities
13. Ability to remain calm in a busy or stressful situation
14. Represent the organization in a positive manner, support and encourages strong morale within the team and maintain effective, professional relationships with others