Responsible for performing basic supportive care to specified patients/families under the direction and supervision of a Staff RN. Demonstrates competence in providing age-appropriate care and service for pediatric patients from birth to 21 years, and selected adults. Delivers excellent customer service in all encounters. PCA duties include but are not limited to taking vital signs, heights and weights. Provides basic supportive care such as bed making/keep patient room clean and orderly. Nutrition as indicated. Provides comfort measures, i.e. pillows, blankets, privacy. Performs the following procedures: Specimen collection: (urine for urinalysis and culture, blood by capillary puncture). Applies infant specimen collection device. Obtains clean catch urine. Simple (clean/non-sterile) dressing changes: Holds, positions patient and assists with procedures (examples: IV insertion). Observes and reports appearance of peripheral IV site. Transports patients to other departments/areas of the hospital. Documents all data collected and care provided on the appropriate paper or electronic form of the patient record. Maintains up to date patient information on tracking system. Responsibilities& accountable for: appropriate time and resource management; accepts delegation from Staff RN.
· High School graduate
· State Tested Nursing Assistant strongly preferred or one year of comparable experience in an acute care setting within the past 3 years as PCA.
· Must successfully pass pre-interview test and obtain score of average or above for alphanumeric data entry test.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Perform manual tasks with or without accommodation, and care for oneself with little or no difficulty.
2. Applies the principles of body mechanics in lifting or moving patients and/or equipment.
3. Must be able to independently lift up to 25 pounds.
4. Must be able to move or reposition patients of any weight or size with the assistance of another person(s) and/or equipment.