This position works collaboratively with medical, scientific and administrative professionals, as well as senior leadership, to develop accurate and engaging content designed to increase awareness and enhance the reputation of Nationwide Children’s Hospital among lay and professional stakeholders through a variety of communication channels.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
· Effectively investigates, implements and evaluates content to support marketing and communications strategies
· Positively interacts with medical, scientific and administrative professionals within and outside the department to ensure understanding of marketing and communications strategies
· Serves on department Content Core team
· Understands and effectively utilizes content channels
· Tracks current topics and how Nationwide Children’s can enter the conversation, working in conjunction with relevant department teams
· Ensures accuracy of medical and scientific content
· Oversees consistency of voice, layout and design within Nationwide Children’s standards and adhering to health literacy principles
· Demonstrates sound planning, analysis and evaluation of specific, assigned projects and looks for additional opportunities for repurposing content
· Displays creative ability in design work and suggests visual elements to enhance message when appropriate
· Develops production schedules and strives to meet deadlines, including keeping in contact with other authors/writers and providing assistance in article development when needed
· Develops budget for all projects and manages activities within budget guidelines
· Keeps clear accounting of expenses and budget
· Follows up to assure timely payment to vendors
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism or English, with demonstrated understanding of biosciences –OR— Bachelor’s degree in biosciences with demonstrated understanding of communications and superior writing skills.
· 5+ years’ experience in research or health care setting is preferred.
· Must have excellent written (editing and proofreading) skills.
· Must have working understanding of medical and scientific terms and ability to translate those into lay terms for general communication.
· Must possess interpersonal skills with an ability to maintain good rapport with a variety of internal and external contacts.
· Strong background in working with diverse management and employee groups within a large organization is preferred.
· Working knowledge of a variety of software programs including MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
· Working knowledge of social media tools
Minimum Physical Requirements
Ability to use a personal computer and communicate both verbally and written in an effective and efficient manner.