Under the direction of the Internal Medicine Practice Manager, Palliative Care Medical Director, and Inpatient Palliative Care Coordinator, the scope of practice includes inpatient palliative care consultation with the goal of developing care plans to meet patient and family physical and psychosocial needs. The Palliative Care Specialist will participate in team consultations; helping to direct goals of care discussions; symptom assessment; and helping to develop a comprehensive palliative care plan. Serves as a role model and mentor to physicians and nurses at all levels and assists with training new staff in the Palliative care model. Must be self-directed and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and possess excellent psychosocial assessment skills as well as communication skills to facilitate goals of care discussions.
· Assess patient/family's goals for care and develop plan of treatment for patients with chronic or terminal illnesses.
· Provide patient/family education regarding community resources, advance care planning, and expected grief response.
NOTE: This list of job functions is not intended to be all inclusive and may be expanded to include other functions that may be deemed necessary.
Knowledge, Skill, and Competency Expectations:
· Degree/Diploma from accredited school of nursing, BSN required, Master's degree preferred or Masters prepared Social Worker from an accredited school of social work.
· Certification in Hospice and Palliative Care (CHRN) or Advanced MSW licensure required within 5 years of hire.
· At least 3 years recent successful experience as a registered nurse or social worker in Palliative Care and /or Hospice, ICU or Oncology.
· Current state registration as a professional MSW, or an active Counselor Agency Affiliated Registration and active Associate License, or licensed RN required.
· CPR Certification.
· Current valid driver's license; availability of auto in good working condition with current insurance and willingness to drive in all types of weather.
· Proficient competent skills and the ability to exercise independent judgment while functioning in an interdisciplinary teamwork environment.
· Effective teaching and communication skills.
· The ability to function autonomously in a non-structured environment.
· Critical thinking and multi-tasking skills.
· Emotional stability to function effectively in unpredictable situations.
· Must possess basic computer skills related to electronic medical records, Windows navigation, mouse usage, keyboarding, email communication and password management.