OVERALL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Responsible for the management of the operational activities and personnel of the Omak Ambulatory Surgery Center to assure efficient delivery of high quality patient service.
1. Prepares procedure room prior to each case by following the daily schedule and procedure requirements.
2. Assists with positioning of patients.
3. Assists the MD in the procedure rooms, including but not limited to: biopsies, cystoscopy, dilation, charting vitals/patient status and the collection and labeling of specimens.
4. Ensures optimal outcomes by proper handling of instruments and equipment.
5. Maintains manufacturer's recommendations and CH policies by proper processes-cleans, disinfects and reprocesses scoped and other instruments, per policy.
6. Prioritizes activities based on knowledge and comprehension of the endoscopy schedule.
7. Understands operation, function and handling of special equipment according to manufacturer's recommendations.
8. Provides assessment by troubleshooting malfunctioning equipment. If further service is required, process equipment, complete paperwork and calls biomed.
9. Respond appropriately to emergency situations, recognizing the need for assistance and obtaining support from Urology ASC personnel and/or physician as needed.
10. Compliance with universal precautions and the use of personal protective equipment.
11. Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent patient care information to assure patients' rights are protected.
12. Communicate appropriate information to other members of the healthcare team in a timely manner.
13. Responsible for adhering to established Standards of Courtesy and Guest Relations.
14. Provides instruction for patients regarding routine procedures. Refers questions to physician or team coordinator as appropriate.
15. Provides follow-up of lab results and callbacks to patients.
16. Completes file processing and forms to ensure that an appropriate medical record is maintained.
17. Responsible for maintaining clean procedure area and stock items for use in the procedure room, admitting and recovery areas.
18. Supervises the daily activities of Omak ASC staff.
19. Monitors and evaluates staff performance on an on-going basis in accordance with all applicable performance standards. Leads by example.
20. Interacts with employees on an on-going basis to facilitate the elimination of substandard performance and promote the development of performance to meet or exceed standards.
21. Writes annual and introductory-period appraisals on the basis of own observation as well as the observations of the employees/peers.
22. Conducts the formal review process for each staff member.
23. Provides feedback to Practice Manager for any disciplinary action.
24. Assures staff compliance with all policies and procedures and governmental regulations pertaining to but not limited to:
a. Controlled substances and legend drugs, including sample medications.
b. Infection control.
c. Patient confidentiality.
d. CPR, ACLS, safety and risk management
e. Quality improvement and quality assurance.
f. Emergency codes and evacuation
g. Professional licensure
25. Assists the ASC/GI Practice Manager in the interviewing, hiring, and placement of competent staff to fill vacated or new positions.
26. Participates in developing and coordinating employee orientation and training processes. Keeps employee orientation and training checklists current.
27. Works in conjunction with the ASC/GI Practice Manager and HR Manager to write job descriptions for new positions and assures that all job descriptions are updated.
28. Helps develop staff educational materials and serves as a resource to staff in meeting their continuing educational needs. Provides in-service training programs in collaboration with Organizational Development.
29. Adjusts work schedules, hours, and work assignments on an on-going basis as needed to meet staffing needs.
30. Approves advance requests for paid time-off and arranges for coverage.
31. Arranges for coverage as required in response to unscheduled time off needs. Must be prepared to fill in slots when outside coverage cannot be obtained.
32. Responsible for controlling the use of PTO in accordance with the appropriate policies.
33. Monitors and controls the accumulation of overtime hours.
34. Makes adjustments to employee hours via the API system.
35. Participates in the development and utilization of the department policies and procedures.
36. Follows all Medicare regulations and interpretive guidelines, and reports areas of concern to the ASC/GI Practice Manager.
37. Assists the ASC/GI Practice Manager in assuring that a minimum of 2 QAPI studies are completed each year. These projects will be reviewed by the ASC Governing Committee.
38. Monitors operational process measurements looking for ways to improve department efficiency. (e.g. procedure room minutes used, number of procedures per week, patient waiting times, etc.).
39. Notes process trends, variances and problem areas. Informs the ASC/GI Practice Manager and helps implement process improvements.
40. Monitors ordering of department supplies and equipment. Reviews and signs appropriate requisitions and assures proper approval.
41. Helps troubleshoot equipment or process type problems.
42. Stays current on safety issues and monitors according to policy.
43. Keeps staff apprised of all information that impacts their work and relates to the ASC and clinic state of affairs.
44. Meets regularly with the ASC/GI Practice Manager and ASC Chief of Staff.
45. Conducts regular department meetings and keeps minutes of these meetings.
46. Remains accessible to listen to, converse with, advise and counsel staff in a confidential manner. Serves as a primary resource in solving employee work related problems and helping employees to reach their potential.
47. Serves as an employee advocate while promoting the business interests, mission and policies of Confluence.
48. Establishes and maintains good rapport with all departments throughout the clinic.
49. Work to maintain physician satisfaction with operations.
50. Establishes and maintains good rapport with physician users of the department.
51. Serve as example to staff in viewing physicians as well as patients as valued customers.
52. Provides input into the physician peer review process.
12. Supports and promotes a positive image of the Omak-ASC and Confluence Health Wenatchee Valley Hospital and Clinics when dealing directly with patients and others outside the organization.
53. Monitors patient services feedback and contributes to the process of resolving patient care complaints and service issues. Informs the Practice Manager, ASC Chief of Staff of any patient complaints and follows policy.
1. Assumes, when asked, some duties of the ASC/GI Practice Manager in his/her absence.
2. Serves on various committees as needed.
NOTE: This list of job functions is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other functions that may be deemed necessary.
Required: Registered Nurse licensed in the State of Washington.
Associate's degree required.
At least two years of relevant leadership experience required.
Current Confluence Health employee may substitute the above with 4 years of relevant experience.
Previous experience in a health care setting such as an ambulatory surgery center or hospital.
BSN and CNOR preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of nursing care provided in a patient care environment.
2. Knowledge of vital signs, examination, and diagnostic/treatment procedures used in the ambulatory care setting.
3. Must have the ability to relate effectively with coworkers, physicians and general staff as part of a team.
4. The person in this position must be able to communicate well to patients, family members and the general public.
5. Capable of independent work ethic with minimal supervision.
6. Attention to detail and the ability to respond calmly and effectively in a stressful environment.
7. Ability to work with computers.
8. Speak clearly and concisely and train and instruct others.
9. Must possess good organizational skills.