Conduct routine and complex laboratory tests (for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease), interpretation of test results, instrument operation, in addition to supporting clients as they access laboratory services. Oversees laboratory practices for given lab section such as, procedure documentation, quality assurance, quality control monitoring, instrument maintenance, competency and proficiency programs, staff training, and preparing for various certification, licensure, and accreditation processes.
1. Perform venipuncture and capillary collections appropriate for the age of the patient in a professional manner and with minimum discomfort.
2. Perform standard laboratory analyses accurately according to published procedures and turnaround times.
3. Validate results which includes, but is not limited to, recognizing questionable results, investigation of the cause(s) of questionable results and finally to take appropriate action regarding release of test result to customer
4. Communicate written and verbal information to customers regarding appropriate specimen collection, transport, and test methodology. Able to interpret test results. Able to handle client service issues at all levels appropriately, courteously and effectively with a customer focus.
5. Interpret, initiate, and comply with regulatory guidelines as required by regulatory agencies.
6. Ability to utilize critical thinking for problem solving.
7. Ability to multitask effectively and accurately in a stressful environment.
8. Required to maintain active Basic Life Support (CPR) certification.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
- Certification of MT (ASCP), MLS (ASCP), or equivalent.
- A bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical, biological or medical technology from an accredited institution.
- Two years of experience as a Medical Technologist.