Under the direction of and in collaboration with Department Director, this position is accountable for promoting high quality patient care through efficient and effective management of a defined area. Will assume twenty-four (24) hour responsibility for planning, organizing and directing unit activity. Will ensure adequate staffing in a fiscally responsible manner. Will be responsible for hiring, supervision and performance evaluation of licensed and unlicensed staff. Will act as an active member of the management team to support the patient care delivery model, standards of nursing practice, legal regulations, and hospital policies. Will assist Department Director in ensuring compliance for accreditation. Will serve as a consultant, mentor and role model to staff. Assists the Department Director in development and monitoring of operating and capital budget and assists with variance analysis if applicable. Familiar with and adheres to terms of applicable bargaining unit contract.
1. Proactively identifies staffing needs according to defined position specifications to ensure appropriate staffing effectiveness and established standards.
2. Ensures day to day department operation.
3. Collaborates with Charge Nurses and staff on all shifts to ensure delivery of high quality patient care. Collaborates with physician staff on patient care and operational issues. Provides support to physician staff to enhance quality of patient care.
4. Ensures department schedule is completed per contract guidelines and meets core staffing needs.
5. Ensures payroll is complete and accurate prior to approval.
6. Identifies equipment needs and purchases equipment under the supervision of the Department Director. Facilitates and monitors repair of broken equipment.
7. Establishes and monitors service and performance standards for departmental functions. Designs, directs and implements actions to continuously improve quality.
8. Develops and implements standards, programs, policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of service and recognized Nursing Standards of Practice.
9. In collaboration with the Director, develop unit based goals that support hospital strategic goals and departmental education plan in response to needs identified.
10. Responsible for patient and environmental safety and ensures correction, if necessary.
11. Identifies infection control issues within department, communicates with the Infection Control staff on a routine basis and ensures risks to patients are eliminated or minimized.
12. Assists Department Director in ensuring all accreditation standards are met on an on-going basis.
13. Participates in on-going patient satisfaction efforts and addresses any customer complaints in a timely fashion.
14. Interviews and hires qualified staff in collaboration with Department Director.
15. Completes on-going performance review and ensures on-going competency validation.
16. Assists Department Director with on-going counseling and progressive discipline ensuring compliance with hospital policies and collective bargaining agreements.
17. Assists Department Director with planning and presentation of Department Staff Meetings.
18. Attends hospital meetings at the discretion of the Department Director.
19. Promotes a professional environment throughout the department.
20. Address patients, visitors, families, and co-workers in a pleasant and respectful manner: display courtesy at all times.
21. Respond quickly and appropriately to inquiries and requests.
22. Assist co-workers without being asked.
23. Display an unhurried and caring manner with visitors, families, and co-workers when performing duties.
24. Maintain confidentiality of all patient-hospital or physician related information. Refrain from gossip and speak in low tones in all appropriate areas.
25. Demonstrate a pleasing disposition and sensitivity to visitors', families, and co-workers' needs.
26. Below or at the accepted standard for unscheduled absences as outlined in HR8651.370.
27. Perform related assignments as requested in order to promote positive visitor, family, and co-worker relations.
· Communicate, cooperate and perform related duties with other co-workers in your department and in other departments in a courteous and efficient manner to achieve overall hospital goals and objectives.
· Greet all visitors, families, and co-workers, patients and physicians in a courteous, respectful and professional manner at all times. Respond to all visitors, clients, families, and co-workers with empathy and positive interpersonal skills at all times.
· Handle all requests with a positive attitude at the time the request is made.
· Assume the responsibility for maintaining healthy interpersonal relationships with all those working or being cared for in the hospital, outpatient, or home setting.
· Demonstrate a commitment to providing the highest and most reliable quality service available on a daily basis.
· Strive for positive change in your work area. Cooperate with team members in a constructive and supportive manner.
· Be responsible for addressing inappropriate or unacceptable behavior on the part of a co-worker(s) in your department.
· Demonstrate ethical conduct and practices.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities and clinical expertise.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing, BSN or Bachelor's degree in healthcare related field.
- 2 years of relevant leadership experience.
- Internal applicants may substitute an Associate's degree and 6 years of relevant leadership experience, 2 of which must be leadership, and completion of a Bachelor's degree within 2 years of hire; OR LEAD completion.
- Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in Washington State.
- Possess excellent analytical, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Must possess basic computer skills related to Windows navigation, mouse usage, keyboarding, email communication and password management.
- Must maintain primary residence in the Confluence Health service area.
· Master's degree.