A Histology Assistant has the appropriate educational background to perform procedures in a prompt, accurate and reliable manner according to established and approved hospital and departmental policies and procedures with minimal supervision. General duties include but are not limited to: Managing pathology specimens, communicating with the WVMC laboratory, maintaining supplies and assisting with pathology related procedures. Additional duties may include assisting in the clinical laboratory as needed. Our staff uses effective communication and is compliant with all federal, state and local agencies. May be expected to rotate shifts and work overtime as needed for our clients.
1. Manages surgical and cytology specimens: receipt, accessioning, ordering in Cerner, preparing for courier transport (3x daily) and disposal as needed.
2. Prepares and delivers pathology slides to pathologist (2x/daily) after receipt from the Histology lab.
3. Assists with frozen section processing. Performs duties in a timely manner to meet the Pathologists' needs for consistent turn-around-times. Maintains supplies and cleanliness of the frozen section lab.
4. Communicates and coordinates with the Histology laboratory the processing of pathology smear reviews and other requests.
5. Coordinates scheduling and performance of autopsy procedures. Maintains and monitors supplies and morgue cleanliness. With appropriate training, will assist at autopsy procedures.
6. Communicates with County Coroners to schedule use of the morgue.
7. Enters charges for use of morgue.
8. Monitors and posts charges for pathology to the hospital. Ensures accuracy of billing. Enter appropriate report information into the PowerPath system.
9. Follows policies and procedures to meet the needs of the Laboratory, CAP, JCAHO, CLIA, etc. Follows established hospital and departmental policies and procedures that include objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
10. Assists with clinical specimen collection and processing as time permits. May orient and perform duties of a laboratory assistant as time allows.
11. Communicates, co-operates and perform related duties with co-workers in the laboratory, other departments, physicians and patients in a courteous and efficient manner.
12. Performs duties in an independent manner with little or no supervision.
13. Maintains confidentiality of all client-related information and demonstrates ethical conduct and practices.
14. Complies with established standards, practices and procedures.
15. Uses proper techniques and equipment; and follows strict aseptic principles while performing duties.
16. Performs procedures as directed; assembles supplies and equipment; and assures equipment is functioning properly.
17. Identifies and labels all specimens received/collected. Reports, records and posts results/findings as required.
18. Maintains all required records, reports, statistics, log, files, etc.
19. Cares for and maintains supplies and equipment used in performance of duties and work areas.
20. Performs preventive maintenance and makes minor adjustments and repairs as needed. Informs the Laboratory Director of defective equipment.
21. Attends inservices and meetings as required.
22. These duties are not meant to be all inclusive. Other duties may be added to help meet hospital and laboratory goals.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Manual dexterity, reasoning, safety and communication skills.
- Associates degree in scientific or biology field.
- Experience in laboratory environment.
- Completed courses in anatomy and medical terminology.
- Must possess basic computer skills related to Windows navigation, mouse usage, accurate keyboarding, email communication and password management.