Collaborates with members of the health care team to provide medical nutrition therapy. Primarily focused on Clinical Nutrition for Inpatient/Acute Care and Transitional Care Unit/Rehab for patients of all ages. May include outpatient nutrition counseling. Must be self-directed and able to work independently. Assesses nutrition needs and identifies nutrient requirements specific to disease state and age. Continuously evaluates and monitors the effectiveness and outcomes of medical nutrition therapy intervention. Provides nutrition education to patient and family. Fosters continuity of care across the continuum of care. Work with nutrition ambassadors and food service staff to provide quality nutrition care to patients. Assist with administrative and special projects as assigned by manager. Additional duties include Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab classes, community education classes, and staff education. Participates in LEAN performance improvement and research activities. Actively assesses, evaluates and maintains professional development and competency related to the position description.
1. To maintain notes in patient's medical record which document care provided, including nutritional screens, assessments, nutrition plan of care, nutrition education and patient progress.
2. To attend discharge planning rounds on assigned areas and regularly be in contact with unit supervisors and nurses to enhance patient nutritional care.
3. To confer regularly with medical staff.
4. Maintains continuing education to meet CDR requirements.
5. Provides nutritional care to patients in assigned area in a timely fashion according to standard policies and procedures.
6. Is responsible for department's operational excellence; assures department delivers quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, and professional standards.
7. Effectively communicates departmental, organization, and industry information to staff.
8. Attains all agreed-to goals and objectives within specified timeframes, as part of the organization's overall mission.
9. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job related hazards.
10. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
11. Functions independently to provide clinical nutrition services of all ages to patients.
12. Required to maintain active Basic Life Support (CPR) certification.
13. Other duties as assigned.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
- Bachelor's degree in Food and Nutrition or related field.
- Successful completion of Accredited Dietetic Internship. Registered with the Commission on Dietetic Registration, or eligible to take Registered Dietitian exam within 6 months of hire.
- Washington State Certified Dietitian within 2 months of attaining RD.
- Must be proficient with Windows navigation, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- 2 years of acute care experience.
- Master's degree.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or ASPEN registration.
- Software/Platform Skills: Electronic Medical Records experience.