This position insures accurate and timely coding of Home Health and Hospice department diagnosis and procedure codes to admitted patients, resumptions of care and recertification based on UHDDS guidelines and ICD-10 coding protocol.
1. Codes and sequences all Home Health and Hospice department diagnoses and procedures using ICD-10-CM for coding assignments in a 48 hour time frame and notifies Director if unable to reach that time line.
2. Able to respond quickly and work closely with the Quality Review Nurse and Intake Coordinator for questions related to patient coding.
3. Confers with Hospice Supervisor and/or Hospice Medical Director to review ICD-10 codes that are inappropriate for Hospice patients and would result in an audit.
4. Handles unclear diagnosis by conferring with Director, Quality Review Nurse, other coders or physician.
5. Enters the sequenced ICD-10 codes into the Homecare EMR to maximize reimbursement.
6. Participates in Audits from regulatory and accrediting bodies and outside entities requested by Confluence Health.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Demonstrate Standards of Behavior and adhere to the Code of Conduct in all aspects of job performance at all times.
· HCS-D Certification required, CPC (Certified Professional Coder via American Academy of Professional Coders certification (AAPC) required.
· Recent, successful experience in Home Health and Hospice.
· Must possess basic computer skills related to Windows navigation, mouse usage, keyboarding, e-mail communication and password management.
· Verbal and written communication skills required.
· Familiarity with medical terminology required.