Psychiatric Nurse Externship Program
The Nurse Externship Program will offer nursing students the opportunity to get an in depth look at the nursing field. It is a unique opportunity to work one-on-one with a registered nurse mentor to help students develop critical thinking skills, increase confidence, and work on time management. This 10 week program is designed for students to utilize and receive feedback on the skills learned in school and to increase the awareness of the role of the professional nurse. Students will explore the psychiatry service line from point of patient entry through discharge. Duties and responsibilities will be limited to those that call under the scope of practice of unlicensed healthcare providers.
Externship Dates: June 5 - August 20, 2018
Students will be assigned a home base on the EAMC Inpatient Psychiatry Unit and will spend time over the course of the externship in the following areas:
- Inpatient Psychiatry (adult and adolescent)
- Emergency Department
- East Alabama Psychiatric Services Clinic
- Community Mental Health (Adult Outpatient)
- All current RN students are eligible to apply between the 2nd and 3rd semesters of nursing school
- Application packets will be screened and interviews offered to top candidates
- Program will last 10 weeks during the summer semester
- Students must be available to work full-time on the assigned schedule of the nurse mentor assigned to them for the duration of the program, a minimum of 36 hours per week.
- Students will be compensated for the time worked at a rate of $15.00/hour
Applicants must be current RN students entering the 3rd semester of nursing school
To apply, please submit the following:
- Online application
- Official college transcript, sealed
- Two letters of recommendation from nursing instructors
- An essay on the topic of "What Nursing Means to Me"
Application packets must be delivered to EAMC Human Resources or mailed to:
EAMC Human Resources
Attn: Holly Williams
2000 Pepperell Parkway
Opelika, AL 36801