GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for planning and managing the human, material, equipment and fiscal resources for areas of responsibility and accountable for developing action plans to contribute to the organization’s ability to carry out its mission and accomplish annual pillar goals.
SPECIFIC POSITION SUMMARY: Provides leadership for the design, contract administration, construction, commissioning, staff move and occupancy for the In-Patient Modernization Project (IMP) . Provides direction and accountability for construction, engineering, architectural and other project partners and consultants. Serves as EMMC initial point of contact for request for information from project partners, including internal clients and tenants. Directs construction management project work as related to the IMP to include coordinating the flow of documentation between design/engineering and support consultants, EMMC leadership and construction partners. Communicates and coordinates regularly with EMMC Construction Department Director, EMMC Maintenance and Plant Operations Managers, Clinical Engineering Manager, Clinical Department Managers, Support Department Managers and Senior EMMC Leadership in the furtherance of the IMP.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Civil, Mechanical, and Structural, Electrical, Environmental Engineering, Construction Management or related discipline required.
- Master’s Degree or Professional Engineering License preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 15 years’ experience in project management, design, engineering, construction, or commissioning.
- Must have demonstrated experience as a project manager in a project manager in a project valued at $25M or more.
- Experience in construction management in a health care setting preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS:
- Professional Engineering License preferred but not required.
1. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with wide range of constituencies in a diverse hospital community
2. Ability to organize and direct multiple work teams and contract employees. (A&E firms, consultants, contractors, sub-contractors, and in-house support staff)
3. Demonstrated construction project management skills, independent decision making skills and demonstrated organizational skills.
4. Proficiency in building construction skills and building products specifications, including an understanding of civil / structural engineering / construction systems, carpentry and finishes, HVAC & power systems, building control systems, electrical and plumbing systems
5. Strong communication skills including the ability to write clear, concise, informative correspondence and deal effectively with customers.
6. Knowledge of MS Office Suite, MS Project, and /or related computer software.
7. Knowledge of Local, State and Federal regulations pertaining to the construction and licensing of healthcare environments.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Is a role model for the caring behaviors, and to the best of his/her ability works with EMMC internal and external clients to support the mission of the medical center, while working to provide the best possible environment for the delivery of healthcare. If we can’t solve the problem we find someone who can.
Working under limited supervision, provides a full range of advanced professional construction management services to support campus wide Modernization Project.
Provides campus wide consultation, coordination and professional leadership in the planning, development, and implementation of the Modernization Project. Assures project is completed with high quality standards being met and all local, state and national codes are in compliance.
Serves as project manager on comprehensive design and development of project scope, schedule, development of RFPs, solicitation of bids, review of submittals, and selection of contractors for Modernization Project. Assures all plan and review documents are completed and reviewed by appropriate parties
Works collaboratively with the appropriate department heads to manage and support the activities of their staff and programs during the Modernization Project. Serves as the client’s representative. Attends appropriate project meetings and coordinates construction activities with client initiatives.
Plans and develops project budgets within overall budget and cost parameters, and develops appropriate project implementation strategies and plans.
Stays current with skills, technology and information required to perform the job. Stays current with hospital and regulatory policies and procedures required to perform the job Works closely with appropriate department heads to have sufficient knowledge of materials and processes.
Handles confidential patient information, personnel information and proprietary information appropriately.
Reports to the Facilities Administrator for guidance and direction. Works as a project leader and occasionally in a technical support role as a member of the Facilities team. Provides technical guidance and support to the Facilities Maintenance and Operations group through program participation.
Has regular contact with other members of the Facilities Dept. staff regarding ongoing projects and programs. Has frequent contact with staff and management of their departments while performing regular duties. Serves as primary point of contact with outside contractor, vendor, and consulting services relating to the Modernization Project. Has regular contact with outside regulatory, permitting and granting agencies.
SPECIFIC MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Supports EMMC by overseeing the design documents and construction of the IMP with respect to cost schedule and design adherence
Support the general administration of the contract and support the duties, rights and obligations of EMMC under the contract documents
Perform on-site observations of the progress and quality of the Work as may be reasonably necessary to determine in general if the Work is being performed in a manner indicating that the Work when completed will be in conformance with the Contract Documents or requires special inspection or testing
Monitor the Contractor’s construction schedules on an ongoing basis and alert the Architect, EMMC Leadership to conditions that may lead to delays in completion of the Work.
In conjunction with Facilities Administrator and the Director of Construction Services, receive and review requests for changes by the Contractor and submit them, together with recommendations, to EMMC Leadership. If they are accepted, review Architect’s Supplemental Instructions, incorporating the Architect’s Modifications to the Contract Documents.
Observe the Contractor’s record copy of the Drawings, Specifications agenda, Change Orders and other Modifications at intervals appropriate to the stage of construction and notify the Architect, Facilities Administrator if any apparent failure by the Contractor to maintain up-to-date records.
Oversees reviews and approves work of external engineering design and planning consultants: ensures that architectural & engineering designs are consistent with contract specifications and all relevant regulations, internal facility requirements and engineering codes and standards.
Review Applications for Payment for disposition, working closely with Construction Administrative Assistant and EMMC Financial Services staff to document all project costs in detail.
Observe owner required tests required by the Contract Documents. Record and report to the Architect/Owner on specific procedures and test results as required by the specifications: verify testing invoices to be paid.
Assist the Facilities Administrator and Director of Construction Services in reviewing the list of items to be completed or corrected which is submitted by the Contractor with a request for issuance of a Certificate of Substantial Completion. Review the Work. If the list is accurate, forward it to the Architect for final disposition: if not, so advise the Architect and return list to the Contractor for correction.
Assist in conducting inspections to determine the date or dates of substantial completion and the date of final completion.
Assist the Architect in receipt of documentation required of the Contractor at completion of the Work.
In conjunction with the Construction Administrative Assistant, document and record all project information which includes but is not limited to the following items on the EMMC w (shared) drive:
· Construction Administration
· Change Order Proposals
· Communications & Meetings
· Cost Estimates
· Plans & Sketches
· Quality Control
· RFI’s and SI’s
· Project Team
Assist with regular scheduled inspections with city, state, and federal inspectors as required by regulatory requirements.
Assist the planning department on regular CON reports to the Department of Health & Human Resources.
1. Mostly in clean, well-lighted environment, but regularly in construction sites, or other dirty areas, in extreme temperatures with hazardous equipment and/or chemicals.
2. Moderate stress, high volume, fast paced work area.
3. Primary working hours are 7:30 AM to 4 PM, Mon-Fri but may be adjusted as required by projects or department priorities.
1. Light to medium carrying up to 50 lbs., straight pulling/pushing, reaching in all directions, stooping, walking long distances, standing, sitting, repetitive motion/finger activity for sustained periods of time, speaking, hearing, moderate phone contact, visual activity; long periods of working on computer. Light to medium carrying up to 50 lbs.
2. Straight pulling/pushing, reaching in all directions, stooping, standing and sitting.
3. Repetitive motion/finger activity for sustained periods of time.
4. Manual dexterity, visual acuity, color vision, hearing acuity and the ability to speak and understand English. Spelling skills and the ability to read and write English
5. Must be able to bend to reach objects on the floor and to reach objects overhead. A ladder may be used if necessary.
6. Must be able to wear appropriate & necessary PPE to work in a construction environment.
No direct reports assigned to this position, but does provide leadership to support staff and other members of the Facilities Team
REPORTS TO: Director of Construction Services