SUMMARY OF MAJOR FUNCTION
The physician practice RN serves in an expanded nursing role to collaborate with the medical team to provide a model of care that ensures the delivery of quality, efficiency, and cost effective healthcare services. Integrates evidence based clinical guidelines, protocols, and other metrics in development of treatment plans that are patient-centric, promoting quality and efficiency in the delivery of healthcare. Behaves in a professional manner and consistently demonstrates and promotes the values of respect, honesty and dignity for the patient, families and all members of the healthcare team. The Inland physician practice RN is committed to the constant pursuit of excellence and teamwork in improving the care of the patient and families of Inland physician practices. Reports to the Practice Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND WORK ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage utilization and practice metrics to refine the delivery of care model to maximize clinical, quality, and fiscal outcomes for the population.
- Monitor patient progress and promote early intervention in acute care situations.
- Administers injectable medications
- Provide patient education.
- Obtain infusion prior authorizations and management of ordersets
- Promote patient independence and self-management.
- Demonstrate autonomy being accountable for their practice.
- Demonstrate the ability to negotiate and influence individual and group decision-making.
- Adapt to a fluid, dynamic and rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities in the areas of time management, problem solving, decision making, priority setting, delegation, organization, written/verbal communication and listening skills.
- Works with leadership in the design, implementation and evaluation of the medical home care model.
- Implement monitoring systems for high-risk member to prevent and/or intervene early during acute exacerbations. Works with physician to ensure appropriate standing orders for acute exacerbation management (such as diuretic titration protocol, wound care protocol, and UTI protocol)
- Continuously evaluates laboratory results, diagnostic tests, utilization patterns and other metrics to monitor quality and efficiency results for assigned population.
- Provides regular progress updates to provider and other members of the care team.
- Collaborates with the care team and family to ensure smooth process in place when movement between settings occurs.
- Assess personal learning and skill development needs and seeks educational opportunities. Attends educationals. Reads and initials written communications.
- Floats to other departments as needed
- Supports department and hospital's goals and objectives.
- Complies with Inland Hospital Hand Hygiene Standards.
- Adheres to Inland Hospital Standards of Behavior.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Needs to be professional as well as knowledgeable, responsible, and accountable to manage patient care over the continuum and to assist in improving quality, cost, and patient/service satisfaction outcomes.
- Will be responsible for the assessment, planning and implementation process for patients in outpatient setting.
- Must be organized with the ability to self-motivate and prioritize a variety of duties.
- Proficient in computer literacy including but not limited to the electronic medical record, electronic data entry, retrieval and report generation.
- Ability to work effectively with clinical and non-clinical staff.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to motivate others.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to openly address and acknowledge observed issues and concerns.
- Demonstrates proficiency in basic computer skills, including accurate keyboard entry of data into relevant computer based Electronic Medical Record systems, databases and spreadsheets.
- Attention to detail, and ability to be flexible in performing a variety of tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects within designated timelines and the ability to prioritize duties as required.
- Demonstrates proficiency with Microsoft Word, Windows & Excel, and the ability to learn various system software.
- Demonstrates ability to use basic office equipment, computer, fax machine, copier, calculator, etc.
Exposed to all patient elements including blood/body fluids and other unpleasant elements. At times, long and irregular hours are necessary. Exposure to hazardous substance is, at times, unavoidable. Frequently multiple tasks and patient needs must be addressed in a rapid fashion by prioritizing life-threatening situations and organizing the remainder of the needs.
Daily work involves sitting over 70% of the time. Lifting required up to 20 lbs. Vision and hearing acuteness is required at all times. Repeated bending, squatting and stooping is necessary. This incumbent is subject to frustration and fatigue.
1. Maintain a safe environment which includes knowing and understanding hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
2. Report and directly address identified environmental hazards when appropriate.
3. Report and directly address violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
Occupational injuries may occur from not following policies and procedures regarding: (1) exposure to hazardous materials including blood, body fluids and radiation, and (2) potential injuries from sharp objects, violent individuals, and physical environment.
PROBABILITY AND CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Errors in practice can result in negative patient outcome. Probability is contingent upon individual practice. Poor performance in meeting job description criteria will be addressed according to established progressive disciplinary policies and procedures of Inland Hospital and Maine State Law.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Registered Nurse with two years of experience required and greater than four years preferred. Licensed at an RN level by the State of Maine Board of Nursing. Knowledge of the basic principles of care management and care coordination required. Nail Care Certification or ability to obtain one within two years of employment.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
· Annual mandatory continuing education requirements