It has been determined that you are currently running a "Popup Blocker". In order to continue, please allow this site from within your "Popup Blocker" preferences.
|Facility:||Fairmont General Hospital|
Contact: Wendy Mazzei
Under the supervision of an RN, the Patient Care Sitter provides close observation of patients. Assists in the provision of safe and clean environment. Promotes the therapeutic milieu and the efficiency of the nursing team. Provides assistance with activities of daily living, unless the patient needs are such that adverse health consequences are predictable. Supports System and Nursing Strategic Plans, Relationship-Based Care, and Shared Leadership.
1. High school graduate or equivalent required.
2. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide a safe environment and therapeutic milieu based on the age of the patients served.
3. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span,
4. Possesses the ability to communicate observed changes in behavior/activity to the registered nurse.
1. Obtains verbal report from the patient’s nurse to include information regarding the patient’s identified care needs, diagnosis, visual, auditory, or language barriers, as well as any special consideration (NPO, bed alarms, etc.).
2. Positions self in patient room at bedside to maintain constant visual observation of the patient. Never leaves the patient alone or out of sight unless specifically instructed by the nurse.
3. Obtains instruction from nurse regarding ambulation limitations and course of action for redirection of patient if needed.
4. May not transport patient for testing and procedures off the unit but must accompany and remain within arm’s length of patient unless otherwise directed by the person performing the test or procedure.
5. Observant of the patient’s activity and behavior and communicates on a regular basis to the nurse. Receives direction from the nurse re: what to report, to whom, and how.
6. Provides for patient comfort, safety, and satisfaction. Maintains patient environment in a safe and orderly manner.
7. Functions cooperatively as a team member. Responds as directed by responsible nurse to changing patient’/unit’s needs. During a patient or environmental emergency, may serve as a runner or transport patients as directed.
8. Communicates in a professional manner and demonstrates respect for patient, families/significant other and other health care members.
9. Offers support and feedback to peers and staff. Applies principles of caring and healing in interactions with patients and families and with colleagues.
10. Accurately and legibly records data collected and notifies RN of any untoward events, i.e., behavioral changes, violent behavior, etc.
11. Seeks and support opportunities for professional growth and development.
12. Offers consistent and visible support to team members.
13. Complies with all hospital rules, regulations, and nursing standards.
14. Strives to achieve excellence of service as described in the FGH Service Standards.
15. Verbalizes understanding and responsibilities during all FGH codes. The assigned patient remains the sitter’s PRIMARY responsibility at all times.
16. Responsible for honest behavior in all matters. To the best of all Federal and State laws and regulations.
17. Maintains the privacy and security of all confidential and protected health information. Uses and discloses only that information which is necessary to perform the function of the job.
18. Performs related duties as assigned.