|Medical Lab Technician|
|Category:||Allied Health Professional|
|Facility:||Genesis Healthcare System|
|Department:||Laboratory - Chemistry|
Will perform, evaluate and submit results on blood and body fluid specimens received for laboratory analysis.
1. Maintains knowledge of laboratory tests and processes specimens maintaining specimen integrity according to individual test requirements.
2. Scope of responsibility may include maintenance of equipment, ability to troubleshoot instrument performance, and display understanding of quality control requirements related to test analysis.
3. Keeps accurate records, to include release and reporting of test information via the laboratory information system.
4. May provide assistance in areas of phlebotomy, CPA, and telecommunications.
5. Maintains knowledge and assists the organization in complying with all regulatory agencies including CAP, HFAP, OSHA, and HIPPA.
6. Maintains the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality at all times.
7. Provide outstanding customer service to internal and external customers.
8. Performs other functions as assigned.
1. Completion of an accredited MLT program, MLT (ASCP) or equivalent or registry eligible.
2. Associates degree required.
3. Entry-level experience in clinical laboratory that may include a hospital based student clinical rotation.
4. Excellent interpersonal, decision-making, and investigative skills.
5. Demonstrated excellence with listening, verbal, and written communication skills.
6. Ability to provide outstanding customer service and maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
7. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and under pressure in a complex and changing work environment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Works in an environment that requires special blood and body fluid safety requirements.
2. Employee has requirements to travel throughout the department and to other floors. May be required to drive to other locations.
3. Employee must be able to answer telephone calls, use wireless remote communication system, use personal computers and other business machines, all which require the ability to apply finger dexterity.
4. Individual stands and walks for extended periods of times, bends, and reaches.
5. Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
6. Vision abilities required include up close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to distinguish colors.
7. May be required to periodically rotate shifts and regular days off. All system employees must be willing to work all shifts, extra hours, holidays, and emergency shifts as required.
This description reflects in general terms the type and level of work performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive, nor portray the specific duties of any one incumbent.