|Respiratory Care Practitioner (RRT)|
|Category:||Allied Health Professional|
|Facility:||Genesis Healthcare System|
Delivers patient care and diagnostic testing according to professional practice standards, while providing support for Genesis HealthCare System divisions. Acts as a resource through making decisions utilizing critical thinking. Reviews existing clinical data, collects or recommends obtaining additional pertinent clinical data. Evaluates all data to determine the appropriateness of the prescribed respiratory care plan, and participates in the development of the respiratory care plan.
1. Reviews data in the patient record and recommends diagnostic procedures.
2. Collects and evaluates clinical information.
3. Performs procedures and reports results, determine appropriateness of and participate in developing and recommending modifications to respiratory care plans: spirometry, co-oximetry; ABG sampling and analysis; pressure-volume, flow-volume loops, and cuff pressure.
4. Selects and obtains equipment, and assures equipment cleanliness.
5. Performs quality control procedures for: blood analysis devices; diagnostic equipment; ventilator volume/flow/pressure calibration; gas metering devices.
6. Conducts therapeutic procedures to maintain a patent airway, adequate ventilation, oxygenation and remove bronchopulmonary secretions.
7. Evaluates and monitors patient’s response to respiratory care and recommends modifications in therapeutic procedures.
8. Demonstrates ability to identify when to accept and refer complex issues to the next level in order to facilitate problem resolution.
9. Provides clinical direction to respiratory staff throughout the shift of duty and area of responsibility when assigned charge.
10. Demonstrates proficiency with clinical knowledge in order to be a resource person for new employees.
11. Assembles and assures cleanliness of equipment. Checks equipment for malfunctions and corrects as necessary.
12. Identifies and completes additional project(s) as assigned by management.
13. Stays current with department information and changes by reading and initialing meeting minutes and communication book within one month of posting.
1. Ability to read, write and explain or describe moderately complex information to other hospital staff and patients.
2. Attention to detail and ability to organize and prioritize under pressure
3. Displays common sense and ability to make quick decisions
4. Therapeutic skills – Airway management – Diagnostic testing
5. Graduate of a respiratory program recognized by J.R.C.R.T.
6. BLS, RRT required. NRP required within 6 months of hire.
7. Currently licensed R.C.P. by the State of Ohio
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Works in a hospital environment.
2. Employee has requirements to travel to all floors. May be required to drive to other locations. Answers telephone calls, uses personal computer, other business machines and medical equipment, which require the ability to apply finger dexterity. Individual bends, reaches, pushes and pulls.
3. Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
4. Vision abilities required include up close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
5. Required to rotate shifts and regular days off. All system employees must be willing to work all shifts, extra hours, holidays and emergency shifts as required.
This description reflects in general terms the type and level of work performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive, nor portray the specific duties of any one incumbent.