|Special Procedures Technologist - Cath Lab|
|Category:||Allied Health Professional|
|Facility:||Genesis Healthcare System|
|Department:||Cardiac Catherization (Cath Lab)|
|Hours:||*Intradepartmental Only* 60 bi-weekly / 7:00am-5:00pm|
Contact: Human Resources
Assist the physician in performing angiographic and interventional fluoroscopic, DSA, and CINE procedures on assigned patients in an efficient and caring manner in order to provide data for the diagnosis of a wide variety of cardiac and vascular problems. Evaluates exams for diagnostic quality while using professional judgement in the performance of services. Will be required to maintain a high level of knowledge and expertise in managing equipment specific to the cath lab area. Must have the ability to function in high stress situations that may involve critically ill patients.
1. Assist the physician in performing angiographic and interventional fluoroscopic, DSA, and CINE procedures on assigned patients for the diagnosis of a wide variety of cardiac and vascular problems.
2. Serves as a resource person for other staff throughout the hospital regarding cardiovascular intervention patients.
3. Operates and maintains fluoroscopy equipment.
4. Sets up sterile procedures trays using sterile technique.
5. Monitors hemodynamics of the patient, alerts the team of any changes, and provides treatment if needed.
6. Performs various procedures including left and right heart catheterization, percutaneous coronary interventions, pacemaker insertion, peripheral angiography, peripheral interventions, and vena cava filter replacements.
7. Monitors patients and assists the RN and physician in the assessment of the patient.
8. Performs additional procedures including intervascular ultrasouind, fractionated flow reserve studies, as well as proficient using thrombectomy devices and peripheral arthrectomy devices.
9. Inserts and maintains intra-aortic balloon pumps, temporary pacemakers and swan-ganz catheters.
10. Demonstrates effective communication strategies by keeping the coordinator and director informed, reading the communications and memo books, and checking mailboxes at least once per week.
11. Develops and maintain an effective rapport with physicians.
12. Remains focused on mental well-being of the patient throughout the procedure and on vital signs. Develops a plan to correct events if needed.
13. Handles procedure-induced cardiac or vascular adverse events in a professional manner without causing alarm.
1. Registered by American Registry of Radiologic Technologists and licensed by the State of Ohio in Radiology.
2. Minimum of 2 years experience as a radiographer.
3. Successful completion of basic cardiac arrhythmia class within three months of employment in cath lab.
4. Completion of basic cardiac life support.
5. Knowledgeable of medications used in the cath lab.
6. Proficient in access, maintenance and closure of ateries/veins.
7. Ability to demonstrate competency in diagnostic radiographic procedures.
8. Cognitive ability to manage multiple stimuli and to assess situational needs and problem solve.
9. Ability to demonstrate patience, judgment, imagination, and initiative.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Read, write, and utilize manual and computerized systems of documentation.
2. Sit, stand, push, pull, bend, and walk for extended periods of time.
3. Manipulate technical equipment including monitors, c-arms, and other related accessories.
4. Tolerate stress related to the mental and physical demands of the position.
5. Ability to respond to on-call activation within 30 minutes.
This description reflects in general terms the type and level of work performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive, nor portray the specific duties of any one incumbent.