|Patient Services Associate|
|Facility:||Genesis Healthcare System|
|Hours:||80 bi-weekly / 700am-3:30pm|
Contact: Human Resources
Handles incoming calls regarding patient bills and outgoing calls to insurance companies on status of accounts in a professional manner. Provides accurate information timely to patients and insurance companies, working with third party payers, attorneys, physician offices and others as necessary for the satisfactory resolution of the patient account.
1. Documents information in the patient account as provided by insurance, patient or correspondence, and is specific enough for anyone working the account to understand.
2. Provides outstanding customer service to internal and external customers, notifies them when unable to resolve in 24 hours and provides updates as appropriate until resolved.
3. May provide assistance with other follow up worklists or other areas of the department.
4. Performs other duties (i.e. checking claim status on line, mail, weekly log, etc) while on hold with insurance companies.
5. Gives priority attention to working recoupment accounts to prevent money being recouped unnecessarily.
6. Contacts ancillary departments as needed to address customer concerns and/or insurance requests.
7. Educates patients on options to pay and processes accordingly in a timely manner.
8. Retrieves voicemail, works return mail, and processes attorney letters in timely manner.
9. Performs other functions as assigned.
1. Knowledge of insurance billing and payer requirements.
2. Excellent computer skills and knowledge of computer software, including programs such as Word, Excel, etc.
3. Excellent interpersonal, decision-making, and investigative skills.
4. Ability to work independently and under pressure in a complex and changing working environment.
5. Demonstrated excellence with listening, verbal and written communication skills.
6. Ability to work effectively with staff from hospital departments.
7. Skillful in identifying trends and communicating to manager/coordinator.
8. Ability to independently prioritize and focus on multiple tasks concurrently.
9. Effective time management and organizational skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Works in an office environment and works on a PC for 6 – 7 hours per day.
2. Must be able to focus in a noisy environment with frequent interruptions.
3. Must be able to comprehend and apply complex material.
4. The employee is required to sit for long periods of time working on the computer, using the telephone and other business machines as required for the job.
5. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
6. Vision abilities required include up close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
7. May be required to periodically rotate shifts and regular days off. All system employees must be willing to work all shifts, extra hours, holidays and emergency shifts as required.
8. Must be able to work with disgruntled individuals.
This description reflects in general terms the type and level of work performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive, nor portray the specific duties of any one incumbent.