It has been determined that you are currently running a "Popup Blocker". In order to continue, please allow this site from within your "Popup Blocker" preferences.
|Category:||Professional Nursing/Physician Assistant|
|Facility:||Hurley Medical Center|
|Department:||3C OB/GYN Clinic|
GENERAL SUMMARY: Participates in quality assessment and continuous quality improvement activities. Complies with all appropriate safety and infection control standards. Performs all job duties and responsibilities in a courteous and customer-focused manner according to the Hurley Family Standards of Behavior.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general direction of the Chairman of the Obstetrics Department or his/her designee. Functions interdependently with other health disciplines and has a collaborative agreement with physicians, residents, and interns which provides mechanisms for consultation, collaborative management, and/or referral when necessary.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
1. Assesses, diagnoses, and treats health problems for patients including antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum, and gynecological care. Prescribes medications as delegated by physicians.
2. Treats gynecological conditions in accordance with standards of practice established by the American College of Nurse-Midwives.
3. Manages labor and birthing process and postpartum recovery.
4. Assesses health status of client and initiates appropriate management plan including interventions and/or referrals.
5. Consults and collaborates with physicians, residents, and interns related to patient care as appropriate.
6. Provides patient education and support for family planning, premenstrual syndrome, prenatal care, breastfeeding and infant care, and perimenopause.
7. Documents patient care and progress and maintains complete and detailed patient records.
8. Arranges for postpartum follow-up care including physician and return clinic visits.
9. Participates in department oversight and development by involvement in departmental faculty meetings, quality assurance and quality improvement committees, long-range planning committees, and other committees as appropriate.
10. Assists in provision of educational opportunities to medical students and residents.
11. Participates in research development and implementation including oversight of student and resident data acquisition and guidance for presentations.
12. Participates in student, resident, staff, and faculty evaluation processes utilizing appropriate evaluation tools. Participates in improving assessment tools as appropriate.
13. Assists in gathering and ensuring accuracy of billing records for patient care services provided.
14. Assists/oversees generation and evaluation of statistical reports for department.
15. Participates in review and modification of publishable works generated by members of department.
16. Participates in resident and staff recruitment process.
17. Collaborates with hospital personnel in development and provision of education programs, specifically in training and evaluation of competency in fetal heart rate monitoring and neonatal resuscitation. Collaborates with nursing leadership for women and children services.
18. Demonstrates effective judgment and ability to understand, react competently, and treat (if appropriate) unique needs of patient age groups served.
19. Performs other related duties as required. Utilizes new improvements and/or technologies that relate to job assignment.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
· Graduation of an accredited (or pre-accredited) school of nurse midwifery.
· Successful completion of or eligibility to take certification exam given by the ACNM certification corporation (ACC).
· Ability to communicate in oral and written formats.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and their families, physicians, Medical Center staff, and the general public.
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
· Current Michigan licensure as a registered nurse.
· Eligibility for Michigan specialty certification for nurse midwifery
NOTE: Incumbents must successfully complete the ACC exam within two attempts to obtain Michigan specialty certification (license) nurse midwifery in order to maintain employment as a nurse midwife.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified.