Masters Degree Required
Indiana University Health is Indiana's most comprehensive health system, with 16 hospitals and more than 34,000 team members serving Hoosiers across the state. We're looking for team members who are inspired by challenging and meaningful work for the good of every patient. People who are compassionate and serve with a purpose. People who aspire to excellence every day.
The Executive Vice President and Chief Nurse Executive (EVP/CNE) is the lead nursing executive responsible for setting the strategic vision for Nursing and Patient Care Services throughout IU Health. The EVP/CNE serves as the President's and executive leadership team's chief advisor on nursing and patient care services.
Key responsibilities for the EVP/CNE include working with the statewide nursing leadership team to define, design and drive implementation of policies and standards across IU Health. The EVP/CNE carries responsibility for integrating the strategic plan of IU Health into all nursing and patient care services to ensure the quality and consistency for patients across any and all services within IU Health. The incumbent will also have a major role and responsibility in the recruitment of other CNOs across the health system, while also providing continuous professional and leadership development opportunities for all levels of nursing leadership. This position reports to the President and Chief Executive Officer.
IU Health is seeking a transformative, accomplished nursing executive who can work effectively in a matrixed and relationship-driven culture. The EVP/CNE must have experience effectively facilitating change in a complex and distributed, yet system-oriented environment. In addition, the nursing leader should be visibly connected to organizations and coalitions on a national level, while advising on nursing and patient care services as an industry leader.
Competencies for success:
Connect to Promise: Demonstrates a commitment to IU Health's mission, vision, and values by exhibiting behaviors and delivering results that align with the strategic direction of the organization. Continuously provides the best individualized care and service to patients, customers, colleagues, business partners, and the communities we serve.
Transformational Leadership: Establish and execute upon the strategic vision for nursing and patient care services across IU Health to lead the nation as a destination for nursing, transform care deliver, enhance nursing's voice in decision making and execute strategies, structures and processes that move to us to the highest level of performance.
Cultural & Organizational Effectiveness: Accurately assesses cultural environment and sets a positive tone for the organization. Exhibits high emotional intelligence and appropriate sensitivity while maintaining individuality and authenticity, and encouraging that of their leadership team. Consistently demonstrates respect for others. Appreciates diversity of thought, and actively fosters an atmosphere of inclusion. Maintains critical knowledge of multiple aspects of the organization.
Strategic Thinking: Actively contributes to short and long term system strategy. Aligns initiatives to system strategic goals and mission, vision, and values of the organization. Shapes, develops, and aligns strategies to capture emerging trends, address competitive threats, meet market needs, provide value to the customer, and enhance overall business value. Effectively weighs risks and rewards, and aligns leadership decisions accordingly.
· A Masters Degree in Nursing required, with a Doctorate Degree preferred, along with eligibility for, or current state of Indiana licensure as an RN
· Experienced nursing executive with a proven track record in a multi-hospital system leading nursing and patient care transformation to reduce variation in care
· Prior leadership experience with other nationally recognized nursing schools strongly preferred
· Strong demonstrated transformational nursing leadership skills (inspiring, problem solving, communication across multiple organizations, executing).
· A blend of management skills with technical expertise proven by superior planning, decision-making, negotiation, nursing leadership, business and financial management skills/knowledge with a focus on adding value to the bottom line of the business to foster a preeminent healthcare environment.
· Strong communication and relationship-building skills with all levels of employees, management and community leaders and a proven leader who is an effective, creative and visionary problem solver
· A proven leader of people who is able to recruit, develop and mentor a top-notch team capable of supporting future growth and has demonstrated nursing leadership in promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace and community
· An understanding of how to achieve quality and other key business results in a geographically diverse health system with many types of clinical business units, having sensitivity for and an understanding of academic disciplines and issues
For questions or consideration of candidacy, contact:
Brad Sharkey, Director – Executive Recruitment
Apply teamwork. Apply experience. Apply skill. Apply yourself. And together we can change everything.
Indiana University Health has more than 34,000 team members, including more than 3,600 physicians and 1,200 advanced practice providers, and we're home to the largest nursing network in Indiana with more than 9,000 nursing team members at over 800 sites of care.
Indiana University Health is Indiana's most comprehensive healthcare system with hospitals and specialties ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report.
A unique partnership with the Indiana University School of Medicine one of the nation's largest medical schools gives patients access to groundbreaking research and innovative treatments, and it offers team members access to the latest science and the very best training advancing healthcare for all.
At IU Health, your personal and professional growth is a top priority. You will have access to many diverse opportunities to learn and develop in meaningful ways that matter most to you, such as advanced clinical training, leadership development, promotion opportunities and cross training development.
With 16 hospitals, including eight with Magnet designation and five with Pathways to Excellence designation, our team members are leading the way through excellence.
IU Health is invested in the lives of Hoosiers, leading the transformation of healthcare to make Indiana one of the nation's healthiest states.