This position is within our Operating Room Department.
Reports to the Operating Room Manager. Under departmental supervision or the direction of the circulating Registered Nurse, follows established policies, procedures and regulations and performs/assists various technical procedures or drug preparation, maintenance or exams. Functions in a perioperative surgical technologist role. Works with a Registered Nurse specialist as a clinical expert, resource person and role model for staff and physicians by providing specialty/specialties with appropriate support. This includes preparing and maintaining supplies, instrumentation and equipment. Responsible for additional duties, including, but not limited to, performing in the role of SPD Technician and Anesthesia Technician. Keeps staff updated on changes within specialty/specialties through staff meetings, education in-services, and other educational opportunities. Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education and Training Minimum:
- Graduation from an accredited school of operating room technology, a school of practical nursing, or equivalent program required. Will consider equivalent combination of education (minimum of a high school diploma or GED) and directly related work experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience in a Surgical Technician role, required.
- Certification in operating room technology through the National Association of Operating Room Technicians preferred.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate effectively with the surgical team and maintain effective contact with physicians and hospital employees.
- Familiarity and manual dexterity required with all surgical instruments, supplies, equipment and procedures.
- Analytical skills necessary to develop solutions to problems concerning technical needs of surgery.
- Ability to prepare list of pack contents following preparation and to understand and follow written and verbal instructions in cleaning and decontaminating patient care equipment.
- Technical knowledge necessary to perform arithmetic calculations when maintaining record of charges, following equipment cleaning instructions, maintaining logs and records of inventory levels and items used, and performing noncomplex calculations in order to prepare cleaning solutions.
- Familiarity with anesthesia equipment and cleaning procedures.
- Knowledge of inventory management techniques.
- Must have knowledge of working with vendors to support the specialty team.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when conducting procedures and operating special computer software.
- BLS-HCP Certification required and/or must be obtained within 90 days of hire.