This position is within our Operating Room Department.
Reports to the Operating Room Manager. The Surgical Technician is responsible for assisting the RN and surgeon during operative procedures. Arranges and inventories sterile set up utilizing knowledge of asepsis and sterilization techniques. Assists in preparing and moving of patients, cleaning and room set up, and provides a safe and efficient environment for the surgical patient under the direction of the registered professional nurse within a defined scope of practice. The Surgical Technician assists with cases of various degrees of complexity. This role may require the ability to work flexible shifts and be on call to help fulfill 24/7 operations. Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education and Training Minimum:
- Graduation from an accredited school of operating room technology, a school of practical nursing or equivalent program, required. Will consider equivalent combination of education (minimum of a high school diploma or GED) and directly related work experience.
- Approximately three to six months or related experience, preferred, in order to learn sterile techniques, become familiar with anesthesia equipment and cleaning procedures, and learn inventory techniques.
- Certification in operating room technology through the National Association of Operating Room Technicians preferred.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate effectively with the surgical team and maintain effective contacts with physicians and hospital employees.
- Familiarity and manual dexterity required with all basic surgical instruments, supplies, equipment and procedures.
- Basic analytical skills necessary to develop solutions to problems concerning technical needs of surgery.
- Ability to prepare list of pack contents following preparation and to understand and follow written and verbal instructions in cleaning and decontaminating patient care equipment.
- Basic knowledge to perform arithmetic calculations when maintaining record of changes normally acquired through completion of high school.
- Ability to follow equipment cleaning instructions, maintain logs and records of inventory levels and items used, and to perform noncomplex arithmetic calculations in order to prepare cleaning solutions.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when conducting procedures and operating special computer software.
- BLS-HCP Certification required and/or must be obtained within 90 days of hire.