Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assists General Counsel on complex strategic transactional matters (including physician arrangements and joint ventures), physician practice acquisitions, corporate governance, a broad range of real estate matters, and other matters as assigned.
· Acts as a legal counselor/advisor for leadership of Health System subsidiaries to support achievement of operational, business, and strategic goals, initiatives, and opportunities.
· Uses sound judgment on compliance concerns and corporate matters.
· Works collaboratively to support the compliance activities for the Health System.
· Participates in operational committees to help ensure that policies, procedures, programs, and contracts comply with applicable laws and regulations, which include committees charged with general compliance management, patient privacy and information systems security, clinical claims and risk management and management/operation of the health system's captive insurance company, physician arrangements, and billing and coding compliance.
· Works closely with management staff in the following functions: Corporate Compliance, Facilities/Property Management, Physician Practice Management, Risk Management, Regulatory and Accreditation, Finance, Human Resources, Information Services, Professional Staff Office, and Purchasing/Materials Management.
· Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
o Contract preparation, review, and negotiation, including software licensing agreements, service agreements, consulting agreements;
o Physician employment and professional service agreement preparation, review, and negotiation;
o Regulatory compliance, including HIPAA privacy and security standards compliance, EMTALA, Fraud and Abuse, Anti-Kickback, Stark Law, CMS Conditions of Participation, tax-exempt organization issues, FDA and human research protection, and state licensure;
o Analysis of proposed and implemented health care legislation with departmental representatives to assess operational impact;
o Advice on a broad range of compliance reviews and audits, including reimbursement and billing issues;
o Policy and procedures compliance review;
o Research documentation review;
o Departmental advice regarding consent issues and legal process;
o Management of Health System intellectual property matters; and
o Retain, supervise and coordinate the assistance of outside counsel.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
· Graduation from an accredited law school.
· Active licensure with Virginia State Bar required or ability to become licensed within one year of hire.
· Compliance or risk management certification a plus.
· Professional knowledge of areas of responsibility to include theory, practice, and administration in order to direct planning and implementation.
· Requires approximately three to five years progressively more responsible experience in the healthcare industry (either in house or with a law firm) or comparable experience.
· Demonstrated knowledge of compliance related reporting rules and regulations and commitment to continuous learning.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, written and presentation skills necessary.
· Demonstrated ability to foster positive and effective working relationships with all departments, staff and other constituencies and communicate corporate and regulatory advice on the full range of health care issues.
· Experience leading or collaborating on process improvement efforts with cross-functional teams preferred.
· Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and a commitment to client service and excellence.
· Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, work independently, complete assigned tasks, meet deadlines, think clearly under pressure, and thrive with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
· Requires analytical skills necessary to organize and oversee work of subordinates.
· Proficient in MS Office Suite.
· Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license and be able to meet the insurance requirements of the hospital, if required by position.