The Family Therapist is responsible for developing and implementing the family program for Addiction patients, who are also HIV positive or have AIDS and their families. These services include informational sessions, individual, marital and family counseling, and children’s groups. The Family Therapist will assist the outreach coordinator in promoting the Family Program inside the Hospital and in the community.
1. Bachelor’s degree and minimum three years’ experience required, Master’s Degree preferred.
2. Experience working in or with a hospital-based treatment program.
3. Ability to establish relationships with people from diverse racial/ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Ability to communicate effectively in diverse and rapidly changing situations.
4. Expertise in chemical dependency, co-dependency, gambling and other addictions as well as HIV/AIDS and behavioral health dynamics. Knowledge of chronic illness recovery and recovery support services.
5. Knowledge of 12-Step recovery processes. Knowledge of family systems and family recovery processes.
6. Ability to communicate effectively in large and small groups and with individuals and family members.
7. Ability to communicate professionally, verbally, electronically, in writing and by telephone with patients, family members, criminal justice personnel and professional healthcare and social service providers.
8. Ability to describe patient behavior in clear, concise, behavioral terms verbally, electronically, in writing and by telephone. Knowledge of the Chicago area substance abuse and recovery providers as well HIV/AIDS outreach and treatment providers. Core competencies required for job performance.