Summary: The Nurse Manager is a leader who assures the coordination, integration, facilitation, and provision of cost effective, high quality patient care, within an assigned area, consistent with the strategic priorities and mission of Mercy Medical Center.
Education: BSN required; Master’s degree preferred. As of 1/1/12 any incumbents
have been grandfathered.
Experience: Three years clinical experience required; two years management or
leadership experience years preferred.
Licensure: Currently licensed to practice as a registered nurse in the state of Iowa.
Certification: BLS required; plus any additional unit-based requirements
Skills & Abilities:
1. Demonstrates effective leadership skills (i.e. coaching, counseling, prioritization,
decision making, conflict management).
2. Demonstrates effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills.
3. Philosophy consistent with mission, vision, and strategic plan of organization.
4. Demonstrates effective coordination, collaboration, and facilitative skills.
5. Ensures high quality and safe patient care using evidence-based practice, performance improvement, and service excellence.
6. Adheres to policies, legal and regulatory standards.
7. Focuses all care and services on the perfect patient experience in accordance
with the components of the Planetree model.
8. Understands and implements practices that are grounded in nationally recognized quality initiatives.
9. Understands and utilizes practices that are grounded in ethics and shared governance.
10. Fosters a culture of accountability, creative and critical thinking, and staff development.
11. Adopts and deploys technology to support the daily work of healthcare providers.
12. Possesses skill in staffing, financial management, project management, forecasting, staff development and change management.
13. Maintains a positive, professional demeanor in emotionally charged situations and serves as a role model for staff.
14. Committed to ongoing self development and learning.