Patient experience (PE) is established in the minds of customers through their perceptions of the interactions that have taken place throughout the continuum of their care. Nurses are on the frontline of nearly every customer interaction and play a critical role in driving the change necessary to improve and sustain an outstanding care experience for our patients and guests.
The Clinical Patient Experience Coach (RN) is responsible for supporting system-wide programs, initiatives, projects, and interventions focused on ensuring that our customers' experience is consistent, seamless, and exceptional. This role provides a unique opportunity for an experienced nurse to employ his or her clinical expertise and passion for patient-centered care towards providing others with the support and coaching necessary to improve patient experience in their respective areas.
Members of the MHS Patient Experience Team partner with system and hospital leadership to develop and ensure the effective and consistent implementation of service excellence strategies across the system. They work closely with hospital leaders and customer service committees to analyze survey results and identify, prioritize, plan, and oversee improvement efforts. They also participate in the identification of service performance targets and improvement strategies.
This position reports to the MHS Patient Experience Director.
· Provide internal coaching and consulting to system and hospital-based leadership and staff in order to drive patient experience improvement and help to ensure the achievement of PE-related goals.
· Perform assigned unit-level data analyses and process observations in key hospital service areas (i.e., inpatient, outpatient, ED, etc.) in order to identify and address current service performance gaps. Identify improvement areas and provide recommendations and proposed action plans to local leadership.
· Assist leaders in the development and cost-effective implementation of strategies aimed at maximizing patient experience and ensure they possess the necessary tools and support to do so.
· Periodically provide useful and explanatory reporting to key stakeholders regarding improvement progress in the targeted hospital "focus areas".
· Identify and evaluate internal and external service-related best practices and implement/promote them across the health system.
· Monitor PE change efforts and evaluate results. Perform periodic auditing to ensure the consistent application of evidence-based tools and techniques.
· Collaborate with local leaders to prioritize initiatives and facilitate work teams.
· Participate in local entity patient experience team meetings and other action committees and provide support for local patient experience champions.
· If active, participate in local patient advisory councils and utilize feedback to inform local patient experience strategies and tactics.
· Serve as a resource for performance improvement efforts in support of the local patient experience strategy.
· Identify learning needs and assist in the design, implementation, and delivery of training interventions aimed at improving facility service performance.
· Work closely with other members of the MHS PE team to ensure consistency in the efforts towards maximizing patient experience across the system.
· Maintain strong working relationships with PE vendors and user groups.
· Minimum of three (3) years of experience and demonstrated ability to drive results in the areas of customer service excellence or customer relations
· Bachelor's degree (BSN)
· Current RN Licensure by the Texas Board of Nurses and minimum of three (3) years clinical nursing experience
Candidate Should Possess:
· Experience in effectively coaching, influencing, collaborating, and consulting with individuals at all levels of the organization.
· A strong sense of personal accountability, passion, and ownership for achieving sustained patient experience excellence across the health system.
· The ability to inspire and initiate innovative thinking surrounding PE at MHS.
· Strong group facilitation and conflict management skills and a demonstrated ability to unite individuals around a common goal.
· An ability to rapidly identify and define problems, collect and analyze data, establish root cause, and identify and implement optimal solutions.
· Superior written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to design and deliver impactful presentations to broad audiences.
· An ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment.
· A demonstrated ability to effectively manage projects through their life-cycle.
· Must be able to prioritize, manage, and execute simultaneous tasks.
· Strong critical thinking skills and the ability to work independently.
· The ability to apply change management methods to assigned projects.
· Proficiency using the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Working knowledge of and experience with continuous process improvement methodologies and tools such as PDSA/PDCA, Lean, Six Sigma, etc.
· Master's degree in nursing, business management, hospitality, health care administration, or related discipline.
· Proficiency in data analysis and the interpretation customer satisfaction/experience data.