In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Patient Care Technician is responsible for processing physician orders and records appropriate information. Assists the registered nurse and licensed practical nurse in the provision of patient care; maintains communications within and between nursing units. Advises hospital departments on patient activities. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· High School Diploma, GED or equivalent training and/or experience
· Certified AAMA Medical Assistant, CNA/STNA, previous experience or have completed one semester of a nursing program or PCT certificate program required
· Prefer prior experience
· Interpersonal skills, clerical, numerical and manual dexterity, color vision and near visual acuity
· Proper lifting techniques and body mechanics
· Ability to read, write and do math as generally demonstrated by a high school diploma or GED
1. Performs hourly rounding.
2. Performs clerical functions including maintaining chart order, answering telephones, and entering of written physician's orders in Meditech.
3. Coordinates patient flow and flow of information in collaboration with the charge nurse to maintain communication between departments.
4. Assists with all aspects of patient care and non-patient care (i.e. cleanliness of unit, ordering of supplies) within their scope of practice as assigned by RN and documents in Meditech as appropriate.
5. Assists with patient/family teaching as appropriate.
6. Assists with the maintenance of supplies and equipment.
7. Enters daily outpatient and observation room charges.
8. Complies with all safety and infection control standards related to position.
9. Utilizes appropriate interpersonal communication which facilitates productive relationships with other team members.
10. Facilitates a positive and caring relationship with others by utilizing trust and mutual respect.
11. Establishes a therapeutic relationship between patient, family and self, based on empathy and trust.
12. Promotes a positive patient experience.
13. Seeks help from appropriate resources as needed.
14. Maintains current knowledge of and practices within the scope of hospital policies.
15. Maintains open lines of communication between self and professional staff.
16. Clarifies any unclear communication between members of the healthcare team.
17. Uses proper channels of authority in communicating information.
18. Assumes responsibility for own behavior.
19. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.