In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Medical Laboratory Technician is responsible for performing laboratory analysis and reports results. This position is also responsible for obtaining samples for analysis and draws blood for blood bank. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· Associate's degree in Medical Lab Techniques required
· Successful completion of the (MLT) ASCP Board of Registry or other national certification required within 1 year of hire
· Light clerical skills and interpersonal skills
1. Performs specimen testing (manual and automated) and operates various laboratory instruments.
2. Obtains specimens for analysis in the hospital and at off-site locations.
3. Oversees maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment and procedures.
4. Performs Linearity, Calibrations, and Quality Control as required by instrument and accreditation guidelines.
5. Performs all assigned Proficiency Testing in a timely manner.
6. Reviews and signs all electronic document control records as assigned.
7. Assists with lab clerical duties including recalling results, faxing reports, and calling of alert values to physicians.
8. Properly documents and reports NCE investigation.
9. Utilizes Meditech to create site batches for specimen transport.
10. Directs and trains students and new lab employees in procedures and operation of instruments.
11. Replenishes supplies and maintains adequate stock in working area.
12. Under direction of the section supervisor, researches and evaluates new products, procedures, and equipment.
13. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.