In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Phlebotomist is responsible for collecting blood samples, cleaning lab equipment, maintaining supplies and performing various clerical duties. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· High school diploma, GED or equivalent required
· Phlebotomy Certification preferred
· Phlebotomy experience preferred
· Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required for position – will obtain during hospital orientation
· Additional requirement for Student Phlebotomist:
o Enrolled in college or adult technical training for the current/next semester required
· Interpersonal and basic clerical skills
· Ability to read, write and do math as generally demonstrated by a high school diploma or GED
1. Obtains blood samples for analysis in all areas of the hospital on patients of all ages.
2. Utilizes the ability to prioritize STAT, urgent, timed and routine orders ensuring that all draws are collected at the appropriate times.
3. Maintains adequate stock of supplies including stocking carts and notifying supervisor if supplies need to be ordered.
4. Labels tubes appropriately and accurately.
5. Properly collects Blood Bank specimens and properly completes Blood Bank Bracelets.
6. Demonstrates the ability to operate the hand held Mobilab PC efficiently.
7. Troubleshoots hand held devices and printers when needed.
8. Assists with training new phlebotomy employees and students.
9. Cleans lab equipment including carts, hand helds, and printers.
10. Reviews and signs all electronic document control records as assigned.
11. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.