In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Senior Director for Nursing Professional Practice, the Director of Medical and Surgical Services is responsible for professional nursing practice on the medical surgical, obstetrics, nursery, float pool and staffing office at Marietta Memorial Hospital. The position aligns departmental goals with organizational goals and strategic objectives and insures nursing practice is highly participative, evidenced-based, clinically excellent, and collaborative in nature. The director is responsible and accountable for the clinical outcomes, financial performance, performance improvement, quality control, customer service, and employee relations of these departments. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· Current Licensure in the State of Ohio as a Registered Nurse
· Master's Degree in Nursing or appropriate related field preferred
· Bachelor's Degree may be considered based on relevancy of experience
· Minimum of five years of progressive nursing leadership (formal or informal) with evidence of successful achievement of strategic objectives or implementation of projects
· Demonstrated leadership skills
· Excellent verbal, presentation and written communication skills.
· Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals, to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions, and to find solutions for or to deal proactively with work-related problems
1. Will promote and be accountable for professional nursing practice in the span of control for the position.
2. Will work closely and collaboratively with various nursing and non-nursing departments to meet organizational goals.
3. Transformational leader who exhibits professionalism, confidence, and inspires, motivates others to a higher level of professionalism.
4. Work collaboratively with nursing quality to achieve high levels of nursing practice.
5. Participate in practice and quality councils to achieve sustained improvements.
6. Role model participation in shared governance and mentoring emerging leaders, networking across the system and ensuring the involvement of frontline staff.
7. Utilizes evidence based practice (EBP) when available and establishes standards for its use in all policies, procedures, guidelines and education.
8. Able to organize and manage complex projects, uses lean processes to facilitate project management.
9. Demonstrates financial stewardship and innovation. Works with clinical areas to manage resources, set educational strategies and track quality.
10. Participates in departmental goal development and goal setting that aligns with strategic nursing and organizational goals works collaboratively with other departments partnering to ensure mutual success.
11. Demonstrates leadership in all aspects of professional nursing practice, improving systems and managing resources.
12. Has the authority and responsibility to hire, transfer, suspend, lay off, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward, discipline, direct, or recommend such actions by using independent judgment.
13. Completes and conducts employee performance evaluations based on direct observation of their employee's job performance.
14. Granted authority to perform the supervisory duties and are held accountable for performing such duties.
- Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.