In an environment of service excellence and continuous improvement, the Service Improvement Assistant is responsible for all levels of departmental administrative support related to the efficient and accurate collecting, reviewing, responding, documenting and reporting of patient and family complaints and escalating and providing support for those that become grievances. It may also be necessary to coordinate efforts with internal staff in clinical, administrative and support departments to address concerns real time. The Service Improvement Assistant is expected to meet the guidelines and turnaround times relating to complaints/grievances set by regulations and policies. The Service Improvement Assistant must exhibit the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercise strict confidentiality at all times.
· High School Diploma with a minimum of five years of hospital or medical practice experience or an Associate's Degree in Medical Office Administration or other relevant study with a minimum of one year experience in a hospital or medical practice.
· Bachelor's degree preferred.
· Ability to prioritize and organize multiple tasks. Ability to remain organized with multiple interruptions.
· Good PC and computer software skills: Word, Excel and database programs.
· Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with ability to sensitively and compassionately interact with customers from all segments of the population and workforce.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
1. Efficiently, timely and accurately conduct the intake and/or response to complaints and grievances related to the patient experience, adhering to all regulatory, accreditation, policy and internal processing timelines and guidelines.
2. Document all relevant information on standard note-taking/interview tool.
3. If necessary, contact the patient/family member to gather additional information or to request copies of records.
4. Personally perform Service Recovery as appropriate.
5. Immediately reach out in person or by phone to internal staff present who can perform other needed Service Recovery as appropriate.
- Electronically enter complaint detail and all noteworthy information in organization's MIDAS database.
- Use accurate judgment and route and assign "relevant parties" in MIDAS to trigger the review, response and documentation processes related to the complaint.
- Recognize situations and complaints that may need to be treated as grievances or that require expedited review or priority handling and immediately escalate those to the Service Improvement Coordinator (or other appropriate party) after previous steps have been satisfied.
- Monitor timelines and follow up with staff as necessary to comply with requirements.
- Document progress, resolution and closure of cases in MIDAS database as necessary.
- Perform general administrative support duties for the Service Improvement Coordinator and/or Director.
- Prepare and modify documents including correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, memos and emails.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings and appointments as necessary.
- Prepare agendas for meetings and record, compile, transcribe and distribute minutes of meetings.
- Actively participate in department and health system improvement efforts.
- Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.