In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Transporter is responsible for contributing to the customer's experience of excellent care by providing safe and timely transport between departments in the hospital or to their vehicles upon discharge. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· High school diploma, GED or equivalent training and/or experience required
· Additional requirement for Student Transporter:
o Enrolled in college or adult technical training for the current/next semester required
· Must be able to function independently with minimal supervision, good communication and interpersonal skills, good use of body mechanics, good time management skills, and the ability to work in an environment with changing priorities
· Ability to read, write and do math as generally demonstrated by a high school diploma or GED
1. Transports patients by assisting patients in and out of taxis, ambulances, cars, and helicopters; lifting patients on and off beds; moving them to and from special service and treatment areas, and operating rooms; using wheelchairs or moveable beds.
2. Comforts patients and their families by offering support and encouragement; being punctual and attentive to procedure schedules; demonstrating caring and cultural sensitivity.
3. Transports equipment and supplies, delivering them to assigned treatment areas and patient care areas.
4. Transports laboratory specimens by picking-up specimens and delivering them to specified laboratory and following all safety and exposure precautions.
5. Transports deceased patients by following protocols and delivering them to the morgue.
6. Rounding on department when not actively transporting to determine needs for and providing assistance as necessary.
7. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.