In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Infection Control Specialist is responsible for evaluating measures governing identification, investigation, reporting prevention and control of infections and communicable diseases for everyone within healthcare system. Confers with attending physician, local and state health departments and outside resources as indicated when necessary. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· RN-BSN with active license in Ohio
· CIC certification within 12 months
· 3-5 years of clinical experience in a hospital setting
· Knowledge of the principles of epidemiology and infectious diseases
· The individual must have the ability to instruct medical, nursing and ancillary personnel
· Must possess good verbal and written skills
1. Conducts surveillance of infection within the hospital and communicates findings as indicated. Reports actual or suspected infections to attending physician, regulatory agencies, and other parties as indicated.
2. Responsible for calculating infection rates and coordinating/entering data into national benchmarking databases such as NHSN.
3. Coordinates infection control education with staff; medical staff; and volunteers.
4. Collaborates with Sterile Processing manager in ensuring compliance with the sterile processing process.
5. Oversees compliance with Exposure Control plan and infection practices utilizing national standards/guidelines of the CDC, APIC, ODH and other regulatory bodies.
6. Develop/implement/monitor/revise policies, procedures, and practice Guidelines governing infection control.
7. Develops, implements and evaluates the infection control program.
8. Introduces new concepts related to infection prevention and control
9. Maintain records of all patients with infections and communicable diseases.
10. Collaborate prevention and control of infections with persons administratively and clinically responsible for inpatient and outpatient services, as well as non-patient care support staff.
11. Serve as internal consultant in prevention and control of infections
12. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.