In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Outpatient Services Technician is responsible for providing a full service of patient registration and other basic care responsibilities in the Outpatient Services center. Basic patient care functions will include phlebotomy, EKG, drug/alcohol screening and specimen collection, etc. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent required
· Completion of a board eligible phlebotomy course with certification obtained preferred
· Additional coursework in Medical Assisting or previous hospital, physician office or other healthcare setting experience preferred
· Basic Life Support (BLS) required – will obtain during hospital orientation
· Typing, spelling, basic medical terminology, interpersonal skills and familiarity with computers
1. Provides safe environment for care of patients.
2. Maintains strict confidentiality at all times.
3. Accurately interprets written and verbal orders from physicians. Collects specimens appropriate to order.
4. Performs services such as ECG's, drug screens and nasal washings as needed to ensure efficient patient treatment.
5. Demonstrates appropriate use of AIDET when registering patients.
6. Enters new patient data and/or verifies patient records are up-to-date, confirms the completeness of the electronic health record (EHR), makes changes as necessary, and completes an accurate registration.
7. Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits on each patient.
8. Performs estimations on ordered tests.
9. Collects out-of-pocket liabilities from patients upfront and applies and reconciles daily point-of-service cash reports.
10. Refers patient accounts to financial counselors when further explanation/education is needed regarding out-of-pocket liabilities, payment plans, etc.
11. Maintains compliance in RQI.
12. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.