In an environment of continuous quality improvement under general supervision and upon passing proficiency testing, assumes responsibility for performing basic respiratory care for adult and pediatric patients. Upon completion of didactic course work and orientation, may perform various respiratory monitoring and evaluation procedures for patients of all ages. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· Registered Respiratory Therapist or Certified Respiratory Therapist licensed by the Ohio Medical Board as a Respiratory Care Professional
· 1 year prior experience preferred
· BLS certification required
· ACLS and NRP preferred
· The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served in the cardiopulmonary department
1. Assesses patient need for respiratory therapy by interviewing patients, performing limited physical examinations, reviewing and evaluating existing clinical data and developing a respiratory plan of care with recommendations for the appropriate type and frequency of treatment, including goals
2. Initiates, conducts, and evaluates efficacy of therapeutic procedures/interventions and recommends changes to the respiratory plan of care for goal achievement and successful outcomes
3. Performs cardiopulmonary diagnostic and/or neurodiagnostic procedures, calculates test results, determines reliability, performs quality control, evaluates implication of test results and makes clinical and critical decisions accordingly
4. Assists in discharge planning for respiratory patients including BiLevel, oxygen and NIV
5. Responsible for the operation verification procedures, cleaning/disinfection, calibration, set-up, maintenance, troubleshooting and transportation of respiratory care, cardiopulmonary diagnostic and neurodiagnostic equipment.
6. Maintains par inventory levels for supplies and rental equipment
7. Assists physicians and/or performs special procedures: bronchoscopy, a-lines, intubation, meconium aspiration, IVs, phlebotomy, tilt table studies, continuous EEG monitoring, EEGs and EMGs
8. Educates patients and family on medications, equipment , lung cancer screening and disease management using Stop Light criteria
9. Performs ABG draws, analysis, quality control, proficiency testing and ABG system maintenance
10. Uses clinical and critical thinking skills as responder to Code Blue, Code Pink, Rapid Response, and Trauma Alert Level 1
11. Independently provides critical care including, but is not limited to; application and monitoring of invasive and noninvasive mechanical ventilation, medical gases, patient care transports, resuscitation, airway care, high risk deliveries, and rapid response calls
12. Performs as an integral member of the free standing ED team, assisting where and when needed for smooth patient care flow and improved customer satisfaction
13. Responsible for accurate documentation, billing procedures, patient tracking, and reports
14. Participates on committees/ ICU patient rounds, Tumor Board, IT project teams
15. Actively participates in quality and safety through tracking, reporting and recommendations
16. Participates in community events/education/marketing
17. Maintains compliance in RQI.
18. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary