In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Patient Registration Clerk is responsible for greeting patients in a professional way and performing an orderly, efficient and complete registration. This process is completed by providing excellent customer service, promoting public relations of the hospital while maintaining confidentiality of records. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· High school diploma, GED or equivalent required
· Minimum of 2 years' experience in hospital, medical office or clinic setting in registration and/or scheduling preferred
· Typing, spelling, basic medical terminology, interpersonal skills and familiarity with computers
· Ability to accurately gather and interpret data related to the patient registration process
· Ability to communicate with patients and family members in stressful situations
· Ability to professionally represent the hospital to patients, physician offices, and family members
1. Provides safe environment for care of patients.
2. Maintains strict confidentiality at all times.
3. Accurately interprets written and verbal orders from physicians.
4. Demonstrates appropriate use of AIDET when registering patients.
5. Enters new patient data and/or verifies patient records are up-to-date, confirms the completeness of the electronic health record (EHR), makes changes as necessary, and completes an accurate registration.
6. Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits on each patient.
7. Collects out-of-pocket liabilities from patients upfront and applies and reconciles daily point-of-service cash reports.
8. Refers patient accounts to financial counselors when further explanation/education is needed regarding out-of-pocket liabilities, payment plans, etc.
9. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.